Mac formated iPod touch to windows formatted

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Boots-, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Boots- macrumors regular

Hey. When you first plug on your iPod into a computer it determines weither it is mac formatted or windows formatted right? Is there a way to switch it from being mac formatted to being windows formatted? Also will a mac formatted iPod touch sync with a windows computer running iTunes?

2. graemeh88 macrumors member

i swicthed my ipod touch over from pc to mac with no problems whatsoever

3. RickyB macrumors regular

I don't think an iPod Touch formats its internal storage based on the connected computer because you can't access the internal storage directly. Other iPods do format mac/windows like you describe apart from the shuffle which is always windows.

4. jb32828 macrumors newbie

The iPod Touch will definitely change format between Windows and Macs.

I know this because I bought a replacement when I was out of town on a trip. I synced it a windows laptop just so that I could buy a few videos for a plane flight. When i got back and tried to sync it to my mac it needed to reformat the iTouch.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@jb: I think you're confusing the fact that an iPod can only sync with one iTunes library and the formatting of hard drive based iPods like the classic and earlier revisions of that same model. Because the iPhone and iPod touch use flash memory instead of actual hard drives with platters, and uses the Apple Mobile Device service, there is no formatting per se on those two products. If you have been syncing your iPod with one computer, and not using the manually manage feature, to modify files on the iPod you must Erase & Sync; this is different from the formatting the OP is referring to.