Mac formatted ext.HHD to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Fishtalk, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

Fishtalk macrumors regular

I had all my files backed up, plus a CCC cloned version of my OSX system in two different partitions on an Iomega Firewire ext.HHD.
    My trusty old PPC Mac has since died and some one has given me a Dual core PC. Yeeeck !
    The Iomega has both USB2 and FW connections
    Question ? could I connect the ext HHD via USB 2 to the PC to get my files back
    or would it risk damaging the Iomega.... I assume the ext.HHD is formatted MAC. and the PC.... well PC!!!! Just before the Mac died I tried backing up a few files on a memory stick...and have found the most of them wont open on the PC
    Or should I just be patient and wait until I can afford a new Mac...
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use MacDrive to gain access to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) formatted volumes via Windows, as Windows is not capable to natively read or write to such volumes.
    And you will not damage the HDD by connecting it to a PC running Windows, unless you use Windows to format it.

Some more information about file systems:

3. Mikegs macrumors regular

Excellent guide spinnerlys!

Just want to add, that in order to use Time Machine, the drive (or part hereof) must be Mac formatted. Time Machine won't work on NFTS (or exFat), even if third party software makes the Mac able to read/write NFTS

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks, but that guide is by GGJstudios, as it is quoted from one of his posts.

5. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.... MacDrive seems to be what I'm looking for.
    Any problems between FW and USB2.... I've always used the FW conect to my ex mac but the PC only has a USB2 conect...I think

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not that I know of and have experienced, though not many PCs I encounter even have Firewire, thus I have to use USB.