Mac+free iPod Question and Customization

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GStreakT, Nov 17, 2007.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

Hello, I'm planning to buy the midranged MacBook Pro. I was just wondering does the free iPod with a Mac only occur as a back-to-school thing, that is around summers? Does anyone know if Apple's giong to start it sooner, like Jan 2008 or Feb? This is the time when I'd be buying a MacBook Pro (I wonder if there'll be updating it any further than they already have with the Santa Rosa versions?).

Also, can Macs be customized only if you order them online, or if you buy them in a store as well?

Sorry for my stupid questions!

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

The iPod promotions are only during the summer. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong) but I think they go from July to September. It is very unlikely that they would start it sooner, as they never have.

Also, MacBook Pros I believe are speculated to have updates somewhere in the first quarter of next year, but some are even saying perhaps by the end of this year...just keep reading the forums and you should know. I don't think many are speculating that it's going to be an extraordinary update.

Also, macs can only be customized online but even then the customization is slim. If you want one of the preconfigured models you can go straight into the store and the only option they'll give you is glossy or matte screen. (go matte)

Hope this helps.

3. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your repy, Kajitox. I have actually been debating about the glossy screen vs the matte. I'm an art student so we tend to be pretty color minded. For this purpose would a glossy screen be more favorable? My current MacBook has a glossy screen and colors tend to be much more saturated and lusher than how it would look if viewing it on a matte screen. Or do glossy screens tend do work badly with MacBook Pros?

4. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

The thing about the glossy displays, is the colors are less accurate. Yes, they do look more saturated, but they are less accurate. I recommend the matte, but that is all opinion. It sounds like you use a MacBook on a daily basis — do you like the glossy display, or does it bother you? Do you see reflections in it that distract your work? If you are happy with that screen, go with glossy. If not, get matte.

5. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply, Spyder. Well now, I had no idea that the colors on a glossy screen were less accurate! I actually thought it was the other way around. Ugh, I feel so cheated! To answer your question, when I first used my MacBook I was a little distracted by the glossy relflection, but I soon learned to overlook them. I do a lot of digital art, and I don' know if this is only for glossy display screens or the screens Apple puts into their notebooks in general, but if I change my position or angle of viewing (or even the positin of the screen), the colors change greatly. This forces me to complete an art project in one sitting which can be a real pain! I hope that only the glossy screens have this disadvantage 'cause then I'll certainly opt for a matte.

6. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

The colors on a glossy screen look much more vibrant, but I wouldn't doubt that they are changed by the screen and are thus less true to the actual color. My suggestion was based on the fact that glossy screens are much more distracting in terms of reflections.