Mac freezes after HW upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andersbruhn, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Andersbruhn, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

Andersbruhn macrumors newbie

First of all, Hello everyone.

I've tried searching for this issue, but couldn't find any answers, so I'm trying to see if anyone here can help me.

I've got a 2012 Macbook Pro 13". I've upgraded the hardware so I now have 16 GB ram and a 128 GB SSD + the original 500 GB HDD, so I've removed the CD-rom. I run MacOS from the SSD.

After I've upgraded the HW, I've got a problem with it freezing from time to time. It happens about ones every two or three days where MacOS freezes completly and I have to press the powerbutton to reboot.

I've recently upgraded to Yosemity, but the problem was there before and after, so I guess it's a HW-problem.

Does anyone know if it's more likely to be the RAM or the SSD? And any advice on what I should do?

I hope someone can help me :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All 2013 MacBook Pros come with flash storage and no optical drive. You didn't upgrade the hardware as you described on a 2013 MBP. The last MBP released with an optical drive is the non-retina Mid-2012 model.

3. Andersbruhn thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An easy way to check is to replace the RAM with the original RAM and see how it runs. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's more likely the SSD.