Mac freezes before login

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mellows, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mellows macrumors newbie

I'm using a friends mac, which is PowerPC based and running OSX 10.4.6

I tried twice to upgrade it to 10.4.11 but it failed. Then my brother started playing chess but it froze, so he pulled out the power cable.

Now when I turn it on it gets to the screen before the login screen where the blue bar would generally fill up, but the blue doesn't start at all. I have tried booting in safe mode, which made no difference, and also used fsck, which found and fixed an error but this didn't change anything.

I don't have the install disc and it will be very hard for me to come by one. Is there any way I can fix this?

Note: I have good knowledge of computers, so will understand technical stuff, but I have limited mac experience.

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

OS could be corrupted due to failed updates to 10.4.11.

Also a chance the HDD could be toast. I'd say you need to rock a clean install on it, so get your hands on a set of disks. I think that's going to be your first step.

3. jsgrabo macrumors regular

dunno what to tell you other than get yourself some install disks. you may be able to google around and find a bootable disk repair software. repairing permissions may do the trick but you'll need something you can boot off of.

4. mellows thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I guess I'll just have to get hold of the install discs, as I don't currently have the means to download anything...

5. mellows thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help guys. I managed to get it sorted.