Mac Freezes when I click on ANYTHING.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zooshowhost, Aug 16, 2007.

1. zooshowhost macrumors newbie

I just purphased a new LaCie HD for my Mac OS X. Installation went smoothly. I began to back-up my important files, but half way through, the Mac froze. I could only restart the computer by manual shut down. Everytime I start the Mac now, after I have logged in and the desktop shows, my computer freezes everytime I click on anything. This means any icon including finder, or safari. I can still move the curser around, however, it just diplays that taunting colorwheel. Any suggestions about why this is happening before I pay money on tech service?

P.S. I disconnected the HD from the MAC for another start up but the same symptoms occured.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like you may have file system damage. Get out the boot discs your Mac came with, and insert the 1st one. Hold down C while the Mac boots to boot from the DVD. After the installer comes up, select the language then, instead of installing Mac OS X, go up to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility. Select your disk and verify it. Also, verify the external disk. If any problems are found, use Repair Disk to fix them. Once this is done verify again - continue until no problems are found. Then, quit out of Disk Utility, go back to the Utilities menu, and choose Startup Disk. Select your internal disk and click Restart to get back to your normal Mac OS X environment.