Mac freezes when mouse is moved over dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MagnusVonMagnum, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I've just noticed this issue tonight, but it's done it twice so far and seems repeatable. I recently upgraded a PowerMac Digital Audio to a 1.8GHz 7448 G4 and 1.5GB of ram. I'm using Tiger 10.4.11 at the moment. If I move my mouse slowly over the dock, it'll freeze the whole system (the mouse freezes right over top of the dock). I have to hit the reset switch and reboot to get control back.

Specifically, both times it's been over top of the dock icon for Airfoil or the one for Signal sitting right next to it (don't know if it's related to WHICH icon is selected, though from so little testing). I do know in the past I've NEVER had the system freeze except from misbehaving apps and even then it's been incredibly rare. I've only had the 1.8GHz 7448 installed for a couple of weeks now, but I've had it run for many hours at a time and seemed to have no issues up until now. The air coming out of the back of the PowerMac is barely lukewarm so an overheating issue seems unlikely so far. Dock magnification is on and has been on. The system is using the original video card it came with when I bought it almost a year ago (Rage 128) as I'm still waiting for my Radeon 9700 Pro to arrive.

After the first incident, I had the Mac running for almost an hour sitting there and came back into the room and everything was running fine, but when I moved the mouse slowly across the dock, sure enough, it froze over top of the Airfoil dock icon (last time it froze just after that point as it started to go over the "Signal" icon.

Could the freeze occur from an icon just sitting on the dock (neither is running)? Or am I likely seeing a processor glitch related to the new processor and if so, why is it freezing only on the dock and only when I move it slowly across those icons (well more testing would be needed to be sure, of course, but it certainly looks that way so far).

Has anyone see anything like this before?

Regards,
    MVM

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

3. MagnusVonMagnum thread starter macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I turned off the magnification on the dock and so far it hasn't froze up since. I'm not sure why it would freeze now, though when it never did in the past. I'm expecting my Radeon 9700 Pro back on Monday or Tuesday, though so maybe it'll be better behaved then.