mac freezing

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by wolfied, Mar 16, 2014.

1. wolfied macrumors newbie

Hello Mac Gurus,

I have a problem.. My Mac freezes up occasionally, let's say once in a week. Nothing is working when it freezes up. (mouse, caps lock, nothing) It may even happen while playing a movie, so the sounds keeps repeating over and over again. And I had to reset my mac 21.5" from the "turning on" button.

So, what do you suggest me to do? It was happening when I was using Mountain Lion and now it's happening on Mavericks, too. So, since I bought this machine, I'm living with it.

Any recommendations? :apple:

Thanks a lot. :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since its was occurring on an older version of OSX, the odds are that tis not a Mavericks issue per say.

What applications do you use? Are you using the same app when it freezes?

I'd run the Apple Hardware test (pressing D on boot up) and see if your hardware checks out

3. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

It's been happening to me as well, maybe once every couple of weeks. I don't recall it happening that much on Mountain Lion.

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

That's the reason I sold my 24 inch IMac and bought a Mac Mini..no problems

5. wolfied thread starter macrumors newbie

problem

Well, I tried the Apple Hardware Test and no problems were found.

Other users who had similar problems... How did you solve this problem ??:confused:

6. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

How old is your Mac?

7. ds705 macrumors member

Since the 10.9.2 my mbp has frozen completely twice, hoping its not my macbook and just a bug. I have a 2012 model. I never had a problem like that before the update so I'm thinking there might be a bug.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I have had freezing too over the last few weeks on my mini. late 2011. I think it may be safari I keep getting beach balls and lockups for a bit.

9. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

FWIW: Perhaps you could look into your console for .crash .hang .spin reports there?

GL & Cheers

10. wolfied thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using 21.5-inch, Mid 2011.

2.5 Ghz i5, 16 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon 6750M 512 MB

500 GB internal HDD.

Well, I don't know where I can search for : .crash .hang .spin those.. Where are they located? Do such freezings being reported there too?

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Open up your console.app in the util folder and scroll down the left hand column for system crash logs. Then right click and choose reveal in finder, then double click on some and look at the top part to try to find what caused the crash. If you can find something, try to eliminate that problem at the source if it is something 3rd party. These things are usually either app or driver or extension related incompatibilities. Also look in your launch agents, launch deamons and startupitems folders (as well as preferences panel -user-login items, and see if any unnecessary things can be removed safely.

12. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Whenever I run apple hardware test and it passes but I still suspect a hardware problem I would then run apple service diagnostic. This is more thorough than the hardware test and will take longer to do, but it would be worth it if there is a hardware problem that the hardware test doesn't pick up.