Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveCheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I bought a GS605 that is not working with my intel mac mini. Any suggestions on ones that people are using that do work?

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
routers/hub/switches should really work with anything plugged into them.

although that said i did have problems setting a WPA key on my d-link or anything apart from i.e

iLoveCheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
GS605 problem with intel mac mini

Here's my system. I've got a cable modem that goes to > said netgear GS605 wired router which goes to >
1) airport express - works fine
2) intel mac mini - no dice

Now, the mac works fine with airport, or with the modem directly. So, I can rule out issues with the mac. And I've rearranged every cable and port conceivable, so that's not the problem either. It's that the mini and the netgear are just not a happy couple. I do appear to be getting an IP from the netgear, but it's not a 192.168. which makes me think it's really the residual IP from when I tested the mini with the cable modem directly and not really from the netgear at all.

I'm going to return the router.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Sorry to hear you're having problems. But yeah, try something else. Normally routers and Ethernet gear are one of those things that "Just Work" with Apple gear. Sometimes with wireless routers you run into minor issues getting WEP/WPA keys going, but the wired part is supposed to be plug and play...

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Well, I just bought one of my Christmas gifts from my mom so I can get it early, lol. It's a Linksys wireless router, and I'm hoping it works fine. I'll tell you how that worked for me later tonight.

iLoveCheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I just need a

simple plug and play wired router that is *known* to work on old macs, intel macs and PCs. Is that so hard??? Help, please!

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I've got the same router. Works fine for me. I'm running a PowerBook G4, iMac G4, Dell Inspiron, and AirPort Express off of it, all work perfectly.

I did notice, for whatever reason, that it wouldn't feed the internet signal through to any computer unless the ethernet cable coming FROM the modem TO the netgear switch/router was plugged into Port 3. Didn't work plugged into any other port. Something to try. :)

The fact that you're mini is an Intel machine doesn't matter. Check your connections, configuration, and ethernet settings.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
iLoveCheese point out to Netgear that it is Mac Compatible (as livingForToday said)

netgear.com said:
# TP Category 5 cables
# Network card for each PC or server (i.e. NETGEAR GA311)
# Network software (i.e. Windows, Linux, Mac OSX)
(linkety)

Clearly the switch is broken, as it should be fully Mac compatible (all networking products should work with any OS), call tech support again, say the website say's it's supported, insist on speaking to their supervisor etc., if you bought it in a shop take it back.

edonetampa

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not a huge netgear fan, mainly because of cost and support. I use either belkin or d-link products. D-Link actually has a G4 on the outside of their boxes. I have never had an issue with a D-Link or Belkin on the 4 Macs, 1 PC (for gaming only) at the house/home office. Issues with a D-Link switch talking to netgear router. Ended up trashing the router and going with Belkin. I use a Belkin Pre-N for wireless, and wired to printers, with a D-Link 4-port switch for wired connections. Hope this confuses everybody...it did me.

-e

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You are aware that the GS605 is a network switch, not a router, right? Unless you have multiple IPs from your ISP (extra fee for most ISPs) then only one device can have an internet connection. You need a router. Any router will work. You just seem to have the wrong device for your needs.

Based on the title of this thread I'm assuming you don't know the difference between a hub, router and switch. You might want to check out the Wikipedia entries on them to get a general idea of what they do.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
You are aware that the GS605 is a network switch, not a router, right? Unless you have multiple IPs from your ISP (extra fee for most ISPs) then only one device can have an internet connection. You need a router. Any router will work. You just seem to have the wrong device for your needs.
False. This device works well as a router. Want pics?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Not a huge netgear fan, mainly because of cost and support. I use either belkin or d-link products. D-Link actually has a G4 on the outside of their boxes. I have never had an issue with a D-Link or Belkin on the 4 Macs, 1 PC (for gaming only) at the house/home office. Issues with a D-Link switch talking to netgear router. Ended up trashing the router and going with Belkin. I use a Belkin Pre-N for wireless, and wired to printers, with a D-Link 4-port switch for wired connections. Hope this confuses everybody...it did me.

-e

Problem with d-link as previously mentioned, it needs IE to configure. Boooooo!

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Actually, I would like photos that shows it is a router. According to Netgear's site, you need a web-safe router in front of it. A switch is a switch, no matter how you flip it.
I don't need to see the data sheet. I misinterpreted your post. What you stated was correct, however for whatever reason, what I read was that the switch cannot distribute the internet signal, period, with or without a router behind it.

My setup is the modem running to a router, then from there it goes to my Netgear switch, which has several computers plugged into it, all connected to the 'net.

Sorry for my mistake, I think I need to slow down a little when I read. :eek:

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I don't know if this has been mentioned but:
If going from [line] > Modem > Router > Computer, the router has to clone the computer's MAC (not Macintosh!) address. Your Airport might have done this automatically, but you'll need to do it manually on your netgear. Make sure to do this with the computer your modem was originally set up with.

That said, Macs and PCs use the same networking standard- there's no discrimination between what works on macs or pcs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.