Mac friendly camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macj3, Dec 5, 2010.

1. macj3 macrumors newbie

A friend has purchased a toshiba camileo 100x camcorder and records in avi. format but he cannot play the movies on his G4 iBook 10.4.11!
    tried to install handbrake but will not open. quicktime (even with Divx installed),VLC wont play it. I was able to convert to mp4 with hand brake on my intel iMac and play in VLC or quicktime. But nothing seems to be working out on his machine.
    It should not be this difficutlt for him!!! Are there "mac friendly"camcorders out there? he spent around 300.00
    New Mbp?
    Thanks for any replies.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

MPEGStreamclip will convert avi files. Export to Quicktime using the Apple Intermediate Codec for editing in iMovie.

4. macj3 thread starter macrumors newbie

we installed perian and flip4mac but only plays a black screen with the audio. no picture. I can "convert and play on my intel imac" but not on his ibook. I think it's a combination of an old operating system on a 8yearold book and a wrong choice in cameras.
    are there any sugestions as to which camcorder to get in the 200-300 range? nothing fancy just looking to take some family movies.