Mac friendly gigabit switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blackfang, Apr 20, 2015.

1. blackfang macrumors member

blackfang

Hi,
    I'm in need for a gigabit switch (unmanaged 5-8 ports) for my office room.
    Basically i got Airport Extreme 2013 in the house main room and an airport express in the office which isn't enough 1 port and its not even gigabit, i was thinking of either waiting for a newer airport time capsule to appear and get a gigabit switch for now or just get an old extreme for its gigabit ports.
    I want the best for my connection.
    What do you guys reckon? I've seen that apple stores have just Linksys switches. I am gonna pay extra for the reliable brand, i just wanted to know your opinions regarding that. Cuz some brand nowadays have went down, so i wanna stick as apple as possible.
    Peace :apple:

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

An unmanaged switch doesn't care what is plugged into it. You could plug in anything as long as it has an ethernet port. There are no switches advertised as "Mac-friendly" as there is no need for that designation.

3. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

I've used mainly Netgear and D-Link switches in the past, and both brands have been ultra reliable, for me.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've used Netgear and D-Link before too. Currently in my home I have two Trendnet branded ones that are working perfectly.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

The mac doesn't really communicate with a switch so much as through it. It doesn't matter which one you get.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

A switch is a switch. Network traffic is network traffic. As long as it's standards compliant ethernet, which it will be it doesn't care what is connected to it.

More money will get you better build quality, otherwise all unmanaged switches are functionally the same. Think I paid £13 for the 8-port D-Link which lives behind my TV.

7. flashy-cat macrumors regular

flashy-cat