Mac Friendly PDA?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by salilsundresh, Apr 16, 2007.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a simple, fairly cheap PDA that works nicely with a Mac? All I really need it for is basically a digital post-it -- to keep track of what I need to do. Also synching with adress book would be nice and being able to connect it to my Mac wirelessly. Any device like this?! :confused:

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

My boss gave me a Palm Tungsten C , and it works great with my mac.

The Palm Tungstens are good. The Palm Z22 is good if all you need is date/diary/address book type stuff.

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Virtually any windows PDA will work with OSX if you have The Missing Sync installed. Does exactly what it sounds like.

My PDA is work specific, and the only time I use it with my MBP is to move image/music/video files around, something easily done over bluetooth....

4. shecky Guest

shecky

Blackberry works fine with OSX, syncs to ical, address book, etc.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

If you can sacrifice the wireless connectivity, and you're sure that all you intend to use it for is quick notes and the address book, I'd recommend the cheapest Palm PDA that you can buy (e.g. the Z22 model, around $100).

If you need wireless connectivity, then yeah, you're going to need one of the higher-priced models. I have the Palm T|X (which supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) and love it; I think the retail price is $300. Leareth is correct about the Tungsten line; they're good too, and I believe they provide Bluetooth connectivity (probably not Wi-Fi).

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I recommended a Z22 to a friend who was after exactly salilsundresh wanted - a cheap Mac friendly basic(ish) PDA. She couldn't be happier. It's white styling makes it very Mac friendly too!

7. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going with the Zire31 as I was able to find it on Ebay for only $45 (shipped). Anyways, does anyone happen to know how I can read html files on this thing? I tried avantgo but that's not exactly what I want to do. I have some specific off line html pages I want to read.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

I think I got my TX for cheaper than that with free stuff (wireless keyboard, etc.), but the TX is the next gen Tungsten, not a separate thing like Zire vs. Tungsten kind of comparison.

Personally I hate the Palm *&$% that comes bundled with their PDAs, PPC-only piles of unusable crap - if you're going with a Palm, definitely get the Missing Sync (someone linked it above), well worth it.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes. Check out Plucker. It's several years old now, but still works fine (IMO).

10. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...I managed to install Plucker on my SD card, but it's saying it can't read the files. It gives me an error message: "This device cannot handle ZLib compressed documents" I tried both types of compression. (doc and zlib) Any ideas??

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I use a Palm Z22 and I love it. It's very basic, but that's exactly what I wanted. I can't store tons of music, photos, etc. and there's no wifi and whatnot but it keeps me right on task. All for $99!

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

There's this search engine called Google that I like to use when I'm looking for answers to questions like this, but don't tell anyone I told you about it.

13. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I searched, but didn't find a solution to my problem through searching so I posted here.

EDIT: I figured out the problem, I needed to update my channels.