Mac from ebay > cash on collection : need an advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mekot, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Mekot macrumors newbie

Hi

I've just bought MBP from e-bay: it says new in a box. The seller (lots of good feedback, selling macs very often) is happy to take cash on collection. What would you guys advice for me to do while checking the contents of the box. What is a must in this case, which are the no nos?

My biggest concern is the warranty: something I will need when I go to Apple store to buy Apple Care in the future. Is it a receipt from the shop the mac was bought, a kind of special warranty leaflet, or just a serial number of the mac. Where I will find the starting date for a year waranty?

I also want to check what screen has it got (the yellowing LED displays in MBP). Which types of screens in MBP are the trouble makers?

Any other things you must check when buying macs in Starbucks? :)

Thanks a lot!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Boot the machine and go to "About This Mac", read the details on that screen, and then go to "More Info" and check the rest of the spec of the machine.

I'm sure you'll be fine if their ratings are good and they frequently deal in Macs. All Macs are under warrantee for 1 year and you can add AppleCare to that any time in the first year.

3. Mekot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, as to the warranty: what if I don't get a receipt: how will I or apple store know when the first year of the mac ends?

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Just be sure you collect and test the mac at the seller's home or office and let him know in advance you will need a receipt for the reasons you were stating. If he accepts that there should be no problem.

6. Mekot thread starter macrumors newbie

I found it elsewhere: <em>("Apple") warrants this hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase.</em>

It means that serial number will not say much when I'll be asking for extended warranty by the end of the product's regular, one year warranty. So I need a proof of purchase: a receipt or a copy of it, right? If the seller cannot present it...am I in trouble, with a macbook with no warranty?

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

It will still give you the status of it. Even if you have extended apple care on it. The receipt is to prove the date of sale just if apple says if it is different from their records.

8. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Apple knows from the serial number when it was purchased and goes by that (this causes a problem sometimes, as they will go from the date that, say, Macmall purchased the computer from them as that's what's in the system and you have to prove via a receipt what your purchase date was if you need to change it).

9. Mekot thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. Even if macbook is sealed and in the box, but was bought six months ago, there's only six more till the end of warranty, and this information should already be in the system. If I will not get the receipt the best way is just to ask at Apple Store, giving them the serial number, when does warranty ends.

Thank you all :)

10. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

That is correct. Even though you bought it from eBay. I think the guy has to be a retail seller for apple to get your warranty correct for the time you bought it from him. If not then it starts when we bought the machine which could be 6 months ago.