Mac from US store - delivered to UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slimjim40, Feb 15, 2010.

1. slimjim40 macrumors member

Its seems they are a bit cheaper in the US, perhaps even with shipping to UK?

what would the pro's and cons be?

If it worked out cheaper I'd definitely consider it?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think they'll let you do that. They'll direct you to the UK store with UK pricing. Also pros/cons, wrong plug? Last I checked the UK plugs weren't the same as the US plugs.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You would still have to pay VAT plus any other import duties. It is generally not worth it.

However, If you were going to America you could buy a macbook for the cheaper American price and take it on the plane as 'carryon' without the box etc. Im not sure on the legality of this though....

4. slimjim40 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm...

I have a few family/friends who jetset around quite a bit...

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Sorry, you can't do it.

6. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased a 2.8Ghz Macbook Pro from ebay, it's a US model and the differences are minor keyboard details and the plug. Just change the plug and it's good to go.

It cost me £1350 and was brand new and sealed and they are dispatched from a warehouse in the UK so no import duty etc.

Compared to the £1700+ apple want it's a bargain. The seller has plenty more:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/electronic-king-inc/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

7. slimjim40 thread starter macrumors member

sounds good

but after all the scare stories about ebay, I might be a little erm... scared of making such a big purchase on ebay.

anyone else bought on ebay?

8. bluefox9er macrumors regular

personally wouldn't buy anything over £20 from eBay, it's a scammers paradise...terrible shame as there are some genuine people out there.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

but if the seller has been tried and tested by All Taken, surely it is worth looking into?

10. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Thank you, it's nice to know there are some who will see both sides. The seller is fantastic, her name is Sam and she will respond to any communication quickly and efficiently. You're covered by paypal and they have 17,000+ feedback.

I was just trying to save you a few hundred pounds as I see you're trying to save, I did it thousands of others have so it's your choice.

11. haydn! macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't work out cheaper, in fact it would probably end up being more expensive!

You need to take into account sales tax, currency conversation and then UK VAT which is charged on an import over £400.

The difference between US/UK pricing with taxes included is not that great. The price just appears better because the price is shown without tax in the US store and with tax in the UK store.

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

I notice that this seller sells boxed copies AppleCare at a rather nice discount - so that should appeal to a few.

Roughly speaking, the kind of discount on the hardware is roughly equivalent as buying through the HE Store - although the saving through this seller for the 17" models is quite a bit bigger and even with the discounted AppleCare is slightly cheaper. When AC is factored in, the HE Store is cheaper for most of the models - that's not to say that this isn't a good deal... especially if you can't buy through the HE Store!

Some of the machines seem to be dispatched from the States - not sure if you would get caught by import, though.

13. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

The Apple online store ships within the U.S., only.

Habitus :apple:

14. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I think sometimes Americans forget other continents exist. ;)

Edit: "The US Apple online store ships within the U.S., only."