Mac FTP Clients

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by windowstomac, Oct 28, 2011.

1. windowstomac macrumors regular

Any FTP client recommendations? I'm using YummyFTP at the moment but don't find it very intuitive (i.e. not drag and drop). What does everyone use (ideally free!)

Thanks

2. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

I generally use Transmit from Panic (they guys who nearly made iTunes, but that's another story...).

It's awesome, powerful, very Mac like, but not free (they have a demo, so check out if you like it).

If you want a nice free one, give Cyberduck a try. It should work well and doesn't cost a buck. ;)

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Seconding the recommendations of Cyberduck and Transmit. I use Cyberduck myself, excellent program.

4. windowstomac thread starter macrumors regular

5. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Cyberduck all the way.

Frequent updates too, and nice UI. TBH though, FTP is FTP, but always nice when it looks good and fits in with Apple's UI too.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Both CyberDuck and Transmit are great.

But take a look at Fetch, which has probably been around since Apple II, and Forklift. I use Forklift a lot because it works seamlessly with Amazon S3.

Your choice might also be affected by what you use it for; some might be easier for uploading web content, others for things like backup. Having capabilities for SFTP and webdav are nice.

Rob

7. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Another vote for Transmit. I've used it for quite a while now. I tried using Cyberduck but the interface wasn't nearly as intuitive, but it does work if price is the main concern. For the cost, Transmit is a very Apple-like FTP program and well worth paying for. I can't say enough good things about it.

8. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

I use Filezilla. It does a good job and you can have multiple FTP connections (tabbed). They update it frequently. I haven't tried anything - it's just what I used on windows and has served me well on Mac for 2.5years

9. Maxington macrumors 6502

10. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

There's a lot of choices ... ( good choices ).

File Zilla is open source and well supported.

11. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Elaborate please =)..

Oh yeah FileZilla is the best!

12. thankins macrumors 6502

13. stev3n macrumors 6502

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The favorite FTP client of veteran Mac users is Fetch. Interarchy descended from veteran Mac Archie client, Anarchie. This wonderful utility mounts FTP sites as read/write volumes on your Desktop where you can access them like any other network volume. Many Mac users wonder why this functionality is not built into the Finder. My guess is that Apple did not want to put Peter Lewis out of business.

15. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

16. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

17. Mac In School macrumors 65816

1. Transmit.

2. Yummy FTP

Word of warning if you're coming from a PC: When it comes to folders, "replace" means replace. I got burned by not knowing this when I first switched to Mac.

I have a site using vBulletin. In my Themes directory on the server I had a custom theme. When it came time to update the software, I re-uploaded everything and chose "replace" like I had always done on the PC. Since my custom theme didn't exist in the update I had downloaded from the vBulletin Web site, and I had chosen "replace", my custom theme was gone. The entire Themes folder was "replaced". It makes sense, but you have to be prepared for it. I wasn't.

Transmit has a "merge" option. That's the one you want if you're in the same situation I was in.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I either use the terminal and ftp stuff from within the terminal, or I use Transmit. Sometimes its easier/quicker for me to send a file quickly through the terminal then fire up transmits and type in the all the connection info, navigate there, etc, etc.

I always have a terminal session up and running

19. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

21. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Another Fetch vote.

My son's in a first-tier post-production house in NYC and they have to FTP huge files all over the world . . . they use Fetch.

22. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I use filezilla. Haven't tried any other in years, no complaints about it.