Mac G3 Blue and White Tower Restoration Project -- Need assistance installing OS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cm374787, Mar 19, 2010.

1. cm374787 macrumors newbie

Hey fellas,

I bought a B&W at a junk dealer and it works essentially but it was missing HDD and RAM which I have plenty of anyway so I put in some RAM and a 40GB HDD now I just need a system.

I quickly found out that one cannot put an OS on that was older than the original OS when I tried to boot with my OS 7.6 discs :p

I then went to ebay and bought some OS 8.5 discs cheaply...but then I found I need OS 8.5.1 or above :mad:

I had some OS 9 discs in a CD wallet which has vanished as they always do when you need them, so I downloaded an .iso (not illegal because I have the discs!) (OS 9.2.1 same as mine if memory serves) and burnt it on a PC onto a CD-RW.

Needless to say, nothing I have tried has worked :(

Yes I have an authentic Apple DVD drive in the computer, already know about that part.

Any ideas? Even if you think I've tried it before, I won't feel patronized if you ask even the obvious because I'm at my wits end trying to get this up and running.

Thanks in advance :)

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

you need retail disks unless you happen by some miracle to find original grays for that particular system. about the same odds as mega-lotto i would guess.

9.0 or 9.1 will work, as well as 10.0 (yuck) 10.1 (yuck) 10.2 (semi-yuck) and 10.3 (yeah!). make sure the firmware is up to date before trying anything else. best of luck.

edit: as an afterthought, do you know the specs, and if this is a rev 1 or 2? did you put in a scsi hd or ide? (that might help guess the age and rev).

3. cm374787 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my original discs are nowhere to be found so I'm buggered as they cost $50AU upwards on ebay unless you're really really really really lucky.

You wouldn't happen to have any discs I could borrow via post just to install an OS would you? :p

As for the specs, I pretty sure it's a rev 2.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

10.4 will run too. Just boot from the DVD. You can still buy IDE DVD burners and HDs, it might be nice to have a newer drive in there. These computers had the 128GB drive limitation as well.

B&W G3s were simple to over clock too. It's just a few simple jumpers. Easy squeezy

5. cm374787 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have 10.4 unfortunately. Unless you got a copy I can borrow :p