Mac G3 Leopard Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by heymanniceshoes, Apr 9, 2008.

1. heymanniceshoes macrumors newbie

I'm receiving my iBook G3 on friday, it's not the clamshell. Just wondering if i cant throw leopard on it. If not, what is the most recent OS i can install?

Why/Why Not?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Can't use Leopard, you can use Tiger.
    Leopard wouldn't perform too great on a G3 anyway.

3. heymanniceshoes thread starter macrumors newbie

How will tiger run? And what are the differences between Leopard and Tiger?

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

leopard u need a g4 876mhz or faster u can put tiger on your ibook by useing retail tiger dvd or you can put it in tiger mode and install it off a different computer onto your ibook but im not sure the diff of leopard and tiger honestly for using leopard for a week there are the new features i could careless about but the major diff is the look which i love but u can put the leopard look on tiger by using shapeshifter or buying it for 20$ if thats the look your going for or for shapeshifter you can illegaly get it which i dont recconment but i kinda suibgibrgiubegue so yea thats about it all i have to say :D:p

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I can't recall where, but someone wrote an article about how far back hardware-wise you can go with the various OS X os's. The really big factor was memory, after processor speed. Without at least a gig, for example, a G4 Quicksilver 733 (which I have) won't run ) OS X 10.4 for squat. Get a gig or above, and it's fine.

Poke around on some of the vintage Mac support sites and you'll probably find the article.

MacDann

6. heymanniceshoes thread starter macrumors newbie

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

wow ur mac must be F****D because my friends imac g3 400mhz runs on tiger pretty fast for an old thing for tiger all you really need is 256mb of ram and 512 recomended and 256 runs fine

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Leopard won't run and if you can, it will be unbearably slow. The max ram on G3 iBooks is 640mb. They all run tiger pretty well but will run best with maxed ram. 128mb will not cut it and 384 is reasonable if you just do little tasks. Don't ask too much of your ibook as it's not really a powerhouse.

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well all i have to say is if tiger runs pretty fast on a imac g3 400 with 576mb of ram it should run pretty fast on a white ibook g3 on my friends garage band even runs fast the only thing thats really slow is widgets just doesnt wanna play the games fast