Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhughes86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Surrey
Hi,

I have just been given a 2001 iMac DV Special Edition G3 and would like to upgrade it to the most up to date operating system it can handle. It currently has OS 9 and I am working through upgrading all the versions of 9.

It currently has 128 RAM but I have bought 256 to go in, it already has a 40GB hard drive.

I have done some research and think I might be able to get 10.4 Tiger on it?

But would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction of some!

Is it possible to run 10.4 on this spec? Do I have to work through the previous versions of X ? Or can I just jump straight from 9 to 10.4 ?

Many thanks,

Mary

(Mac Novice!)

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Id go with 10.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger - Neither of which require any OS installed before, so you can go directly from Mac OS 9. If it ends up with/will end up with more than 512MB RAM, Tiger is the way to go otherwise Id stick to Panther on that machine. (I have a 500Mhz iMac G3 with 384MB and its really snappy under Panther)

mhughes86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Surrey
Thanks

Thank you for this everyone.

My next question, is where would you recommend buying Panther or Tiger from?

I've had a look around but one seller told me their disks would not install on my machine - are they machine specific?

Thanks,
Mary

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Go with Tiger. Its MUCH better supported by modern browsers and software. Its not quite as snappy, but its not worth considering Panther anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.