mac g4 (a10540 hard drive replacement..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ronin2s, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ronin2s macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    i am new to the mac world. i have just recieved a mc g4(a1054) which is need of help. my g/f is trying to convince me into start using mac. so she gave me her old g4. the problem is that it has no batteries which i already purchesed and a damge hard drive.this leads us to my dilema. im trying to purchase a new hard drie for this particular laptop(a1054) but i dont know what type of hard drie i need to get.
    can someone please help me.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Using Mac? As in Apple Computers or the MacOS?

G4 is just a processor, hun, what model of computer is it? A tower? That's a PowerMac G4. A notebook? That's a PowerBook G4. A weird half-globe thingy with a hovering screen? That's an iMac G4.

Also understand that there is no such thing as "mac memory" or "mac hard drives" They use the same standards of computers of their time. Today, for instance, they use SATA drives and DDRx memory which is the standard.

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Just hope its not an ibook g4 those need alot of patience, and time to replace the harddrive.

EDIT i took your model number, and aparently its a 800mhz ibook g4. So you need an pata/ide 2.5" harddrive.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Funny you should say that, I've got one sitting here in pieces waiting for a new HDD, looking at my MacBook we've come a LONG way in serviceability.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Typically when people say "G4," they're referring to the PowerMac.

If you've got an iMac (which says "iMac" on it) or PowerMac (unmistakable, has giant :apple:s) on the sides, you need a 3.5'' EIDE HDD. If you've got a PowerBook (it's either Al or Ti on the Periodic Table) or an iBook (it's white and says "iBook G4" at the bottom of the display bezel), you need a 2.5'' EIDE HDD.

Memory: You'll need just plain 'ol SDRAM. Hard to find an kinda expensive for the capacity you get. I'd look for an older Dell (like a Dimension 4300 or 4300S) and pull the RAM from that.

EDIT: Well, it's an iBook, so you'll still need an EIDE HDD, but my RAM idea won't work.