Mac G4 cube Questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shawn D, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Shawn D macrumors regular

Hey guys I was wondering if I could use a G4 Cube with a 450mhz cpu and 768mb of ram for internet browsing and stuff like that without too much lag and what would I do about airport for a machine like that?

Thanks alot for any info!
    -Shawn

2. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Oh I would think a machine like that would work quite well for web surfing and emailing and such. I am pretty sure you can get an airport card for that machine, if it does not have one. Airport card installation instructions. You need an original airport card, not the airport extreme. See this compatibility page. Lots if airport cards still available on the web and from various vendors, such as this. Good luck!

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A Power Mac G4 Cube should be fine for surfing the web/email. Some web sites that use a lot of flash/video might not load as fast as they would on a newer Mac, but you should be just fine for the most part. :)

4. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response I was interested in using it to setup an "apple TV" type of unit to search on the web and play music on my TV. Is the max ram 1.25gb or 1.5gb in the cube?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Cubes can take up to 1.5Gb-- 3 slots at 512Mb each. BTW- Tiger runs pretty darn well on a Cube that I have kept around (with 1Gb and 120Gb drive) for some OS9 apps and will do fine for surfing/email as the others have said.

Do note that it does not have "large drive support" as it is commonly called, so will only natively recognize 128Gb of hard drive space. There is one commercial software package called the SpeedTools ATA Hi-Capacity Driver that will remove this limitation though, so you can use any IDE/PATA drive in it up to the largest made of that type- 750Gb.

6. TrapOx macrumors 6502