Mac G4 Running Leopard & Windows??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmart14108, Aug 23, 2008.

1. jmart14108 macrumors newbie

Hello, Just upgraded my iMac g4 to leopard and now i am looking to put Windows on it. I looked for software to accomplish this but could not find any. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot use Bootcamp, Parallels or VM Ware. These all require an Intel Mac. If you can find a copy of the discontinued Virtual PC you can run Windows. Really slowly. Basically it's not really worth it on a non-Intel Mac.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Or iEmulator (cheap) or Q-Emu (free).

But still slow. According to iEmulator's little app my 1.5GHz PowerBook with 2 GB RAM ran at 1GHz. But I think that's little optimistic.

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

Yeah. Basically, divide the Ghz by 2.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i used it on a eMac g4 1ghz using the microsoft thing i cant think of it right now and it was barely useable.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The G4 is incapable of running Windows natively, in fact, every PPC machine is. Anything that requires Intel is out of the question. I think Microsoft had some Virtual PC software... something like this would be what you're looking for. Yes, it will be slow (only as fast as about a 600 MHz processor on the fastest iMac G4, that speeds doesn't cut it for most apps or modern OSs). Good luck, but you're better off just buying an Intel Mac.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hardware emulators tend to be not only extremely slow, but applications don't necessarily work either. I used to work in this kind of stuff, and it's a last ditch thing. If you really want to use windows, buy an Intel Mac.