Mac G5 1.8 dual don't start

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacUserForever, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MacUserForever macrumors newbie

After many years of use without any problem, I did a system shutdown in a electrical stormy night and unplug the power cord. At the next day when the power cord was plugged, the power supply made the "click" sound from the relay and that is all, no chime, no fans, nothing.
    I remove the power supply and have it checked, the technician said that is not good. The power supply was replaced with a good one with the same part number, again nothing.
    Then the battery was replaced (the old battery is dead) and reset the PMU, this time the fans start, the DVD unit makes a sound like as it want to activate the tray, but no chime, no video, no disc spin, no error code in leds.
    Could somebody tell me how to do?
    Thanks in advance.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Try reseating your video card and ram. If that does not do it, it may be your logicboard or cpu. I had this exact issue a few months ago. Swapped out the logicboard with CPU and the Mac came right up.

3. MacUserForever thread starter macrumors newbie

eyoungren, thanks for your prompt answer. now I have reseated the ram and the video card and I have no luck, also I tried to start without ram installed, and nothing, the issue remains the same.
    I don't know if after the change of the power supply, I have reseated the processors in interchanged position. Could it be a problem?
    What exactly do you mean with "Swapped out the logicboard with CPU"? implied it a new parts?
    Thanks again.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've never had a dual Mac, so I'm not sure about an interchanged position.

What I meant by swapping out the logicboard was that I replaced it. In my case we had a power failure over the weekend here at work. I came on Monday morning in to find the fans going full blast and the Mac frozen. So, I rebooted and long story short, I didn't get anywhere. Eventually, all I got was a black screen and fans. My boss gave me the Mac and I took it home and looked for a logicboard with CPU of the same model on eBay. I replaced the old logicboard/cpu/heat sink all as one unit with the new logicboard/cpu/heat sink. I couldn't tell you if it was the logicboard that died or the CPU because I never took off the heatsink to check.

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

G5s

G5s are notorious for CPU and motherboard issues.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

If you have to replace the logicboard, at least upgrade the machine to a dual 2.0 or dual 2.3. It's been done before, I just don't remember all the matching dual G5 specs.

7. MacUserForever thread starter macrumors newbie

eyoungren: it seems that I must do the same, thanks
    California: it seems that you read my mind...
    Anybody knows if is possible this upgrade?
    Or anybody knows how to diagnose my system status?