Mac G5 Hard Drive files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMini2ghz2Duo, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MacMini2ghz2Duo macrumors newbie

My PM G5 DP 2.5 died on me, I bought a external USB/Firewire enclosure for the hard drive. After installing the hard drive and try to connect to the MacMini Intel 2ghz 2Duo the drive doesn't show anywhere in the computer firewire or USB.
    So I connect the hard drive to my AirPort Extreme Base Station using the USB port, I was able to see the hard drive. Unfortunately when I try to transfer personal files (no applications) It will transfer a couple gb then it disconnects.

The system (mac :apple: x 10.5.7) install in this hard drive prevents my mac Intel to recognize the drive via USB/Firewire? If it is how can I fix it?

I will preferred to access this drive via Firewire, How can I achieve this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

You say "doesn't show anywhere"--did you open Disk Utility and see if the interface you've got it connected via appears in the left pane of the window? If it shows up there you may be able to do a directory repair on it and/or force it to mount. If that fix doesn't help, a copy of Techtool or another disk repair app might be in order. It's entirely possible that there was severe data corruption when the G5 went out. This would also explain why the AEBS is having trouble reading from it.

If it doesn't even show up there, it sounds an awful lot like either the external case you bought is bad (DOAs do happen--do you have an extra drive around to test it with?), or when the G5 died it took the drive with it.

How did the G5 fail? Power supply go out violently, maybe?

3. MacMini2ghz2Duo thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac G5 Hard Drive files

Makosuke:
    Thank You for your reply!.
    You were right the HD needs repair, Disk Utility reports:

Verifying volume “G5”
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Invalid node structure
    Volume check failed.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I found this applications to fix this:
    Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior, Drive Genius & Data Rescue

Do you recommend any particular software?

Thank You!

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

The three you listed are all good apps, it comes down to which is the best tool for the job.

If the directory damage isn't too severe, I like Disk Warrior--in my experience it has the best record in terms of not making things worse, if nothing else. TechToolPro is a broader-purpose system check tool, but it should also get the job done in general. Both have been around for quite some time (particularly DiskWarrior), and have an earned reputation.

Not sure about Drive Genius; I've used it once for some partitioning and basic maintenance, but I have no idea how it will fare on directory damage like you're dealing with.

Data Rescue II is really something different from the rest; it's a last-ditch tool to extract data from a disk so badly corrupted nothing else can deal with it. Its advantages are that, for all practical purposes, if the data is salvageable it WILL get it for you, and you can see what it will find for free. The disadvantages are that it's designed to salvage data, so things like folder organization and in some cases even filenames may be lost in the process. Basically it's the "if all else fails" tool, and it works great for that. Again, you can see what it will find for free, so it's easy enough to check what it'll be able to salvage without paying for anything.

I'd probably recommend trying Disk Warrior first, then resorting to Data Rescue if that can't help, but depending on the number and type of files you might just be better off going for Data Rescue to start with.

Good luck.