Mac G5 maintenance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andrew07, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

This might sound like a silly question, but is there such a thing as check-ups for a Mac computer? I've had my first generation Dual 2.0Ghz Mac G5 for several years now and although it runs great, I think it doesn't perform quite like it did when it was newer (but thats true with everything). Taking off the side panel, there is quite a bit of dust in the computer, and i'm afraid if i start messing around inside I could damage it. I also wanted to add a gigabyte or memory.

So could I bring it in somewhere to have it cleaned and run through the software and hardware to make sure everything is up to snuff? Or is that ridiculous...? :rolleyes:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

For the dust, just pick up a can of compressed air and go through the case with it. That should get rid of most of it. As for your speed issue, you could back up all your data and do an erase and install and then restore all your data and programs as you need them. That should regain all your lost speed, although Mac OS X does not have the major slow down over time issues that Windows has.