Mac G5 or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rigelisonfire, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rigelisonfire macrumors newbie

rigelisonfire

My macbook recently died. Well the screen did and the guy at the local warranty center was a jerk and wouldn't call it warranty even though he could have. So now having to buy a new mac I looked at used and found this G5. I never used one so I don't know wither it's any good or not. If not im going to just get a mac pro. Can someone let me know. http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/737730/cat/950

2. goMac macrumors 603

Don't buy a G5. They are no longer supported and they no longer run modern software. Not unless you have an interest in legacy machines (I keep a G4 around for that reason, but my primary machines are all Intel.)

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you are willing to try monkeying with it a bit. You could install a new screen yourself for between $80 and $200 (it depends on the model of Macbook).

Though it may look daunting it really is not too difficult. You just need to follow instructions, remove some screws, cables and a bezel. When removing screws label them with masking tape with the step numbers. Or you can lay them out in the order removed (which is what I do).

If the screen is busted and you are going to pitch it what have you got to lose?

Edit: There are also plenty of companies online I have seen advertised as doing the install for $99 just mail them the new screen and Macbook. I never tried them as I do repairs myself. Ebay is by far the cheapest source for new panels.