Mac G5 with Final Cut Studio 2...HELP with finding camcorder??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iStupid, Jun 6, 2011.

1. iStupid macrumors newbie

I've got an IBM-based PowerPC G5 running Leopard. I just purchased Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6?) to install.

Now I need help finding a suitable HD camcorder...I was hoping to buy an HD or Flash-based camera if possible. I can spend up to 1K.

I need this camcorder to be easily compatible with my setup! What are my options?

I'm looking for 1920x1080 - 1080p 60fps.

This is turning into a bigger pain than I thought...

2. smokescreen76 macrumors member

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Since you don't have much of a budget, you'd probably be better off going with a DSLR. You'd get more bang for the buck in picture quality.

However, you haven't said what you plan on shooting. That would dictate what camera to get.

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Larger sensor does not automatically equal better picture quality. DSLRs can shoot some fantastic video, but they still have many limitations compared to dedicated video cameras.

As I've mentioned in other threads, DSLRs are not the be all end all for video, especially for novice users.

Also, seeing as the budget is $1000, that is certainly not enough for a quality DSLR setup (including body, lenses, audio and support gear).

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

This is probably the best advice.

Would I be right in saying that FCP requires an Intel processor to handle AVCHD footage?

6. electrolux76 macrumors member

Yes, AVCHD support is Intel only

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Lemme see: A G5 is a Motorola PowerPC chip (unless you are referring to the fact that IBM was the "I" in AIM, the Apple, IBM, Motorola Alliance).

The G5 won't do AVCHD (thanks for confirming electrolux76) so if you want high def, HDV is the least expensive route.

What exactly is your setup? What other equipment do you have? What do you need to deliver? Can you upgrade to Snow Leopard?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple dumped Moto after the G4 stagnated. G5 was IBM.

Lethal

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Well tickle me with a feather and call me Mary. I didn't know that. Makes sense though. Pink ... Taligent ... good times :D

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

1080/60p doesn't exist in HDV. The cams that have this feature won't work with your G5.
    I don't know how much money you have for the cam, but the Canon HV20/30/40 are very capable. The HV40 goes new for roughly US$650 if you still can find it. Second hand, it is about 300-400.