Mac g5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tyroler, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Tyroler macrumors member

Tyroler

Hi all
    Have here a Mac G5
    Think its single 1.8 ghz with large CPU cover and just 4 ram Slots.
    Didn't do Chimme when booting but a does a Tut.
    Just tryed them as i need Ram,bought some but doesn't fit,so took Ram i found and not doing.Its 2700 and i may need 3200 but no one knows here

Have also a Dual 2.0Ghz which has a chime but no Ram.Bought me some 4200 as above said but not fit as seperator in pin-line is one/two Millimeter wrong side.

googled for "upgrade my mac' and says dual = 4200,but now i fell over a website i sadly lost which says it needs 3200 as its early modell
    Who knows to explain me?

and,yes.everyone sells 2day Mac without HD and without ram for Legal reason.
    i understand by HD,so i just use them from iMac with OSX 10.3 on,as there is anywhy open to swap a few caps,but why they sell it without Ram,i have my trouble to get some.
    thanx

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Go to OWC - Other World Computing. Their website will get your G5 RAM sorted out. My Dual 1.8 takes pc3200. I think the quad cores took something a little different. BTW, RAM is very expensive for these old Mac's. Try eBay.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't understand 99% of what you just wronte, but.... :)

[AFAIK throughout]
    - The first PowerMac G5s used PC3200 DDR, except the final generation, which used 4200.

- The final generation PMG5 did not come in a 2.0 dual processor, but only a 2.0 dual core single processor. That would make a dual processor 2.0 also one that used PC3200 (see: http://apple-history.com/g5_early_05 )

4. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

yes,you are right.it has two CPU,2 ghz both together.

But theres another Problem.
    sah by mistake that a new G5 had one Ram in lower holder on To Segment,and the second Ram on to holder on lower Segment.
    Seems you cant just ut it in as you like.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It is worth noting the single 1.6GHz PowerMac used PC2700 DDR RAM

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oops, thanks.

7. Subish macrumors member

Sound like you have a Power Mac G5 (9,1) 1.8ghz which takes DDR PC-3200 (only very early Power Mac G5 took DDR PC-2700 (1.6ghz) )
    I have tried PC-2700 Ram in my Power Mac and it didn't work for me also.

Duel Core Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) took DDR2 PC2-4200.

The Power Mac 2.0ghz will also need DDR PC-3200 the other ram that don't fit is DDR2 PC2-4200 not DDR.

What you need is DDR PC-3200
    DDR PC-3200 is going to cost from $25-$35 for a 1gb stick. (ebay)

Hope this helps!

Also if you want to see where it is failing on boot you can use Verbose mode Press and hold (Command + V) at startup.

8. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

think i have in the 1.8 ghz iMac g5 2 x 1gb ram i could use. That may be the same.

9. mike457 macrumors 6502

You should note that the G5 is VERY picky about RAM. OWC is, as has been pointed out, your best bet for reliable information and reliable RAM. The reason people often sell computers without RAM or hard drives is that these have their own value. Sellers often make more by selling the hard drive, the RAM, and the computer as separate units. However, it is true that for security and privacy reasons it is a good idea to deal with a hard drive separately.

10. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler