Mac G5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rodney2009, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Rodney2009 macrumors newbie

Hi I am having issues with net some sites load slow and fast I am tired of this I was told I can upgrade OS then not witch is it thanks? I am on 10.5.8 and tech support wanted 75.00 plus tax I said no thanks. :p

2. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

You are on the most recent version of OSX that will work on a G5

3. Rodney2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

reply re os

thanks dont know why net loads slow then and some days fast hmmm

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

If your are talking about internet speeds sometimes being fast and sometimes slow, then that is not due to your mac. Thats the internet provider you need to have a chat with

5. Omnius macrumors 6502a

Because that computer is effectively ancient. Apple has long since declared it an obsolete model.

6. Graveyard macrumors regular

Did you read that before you posted it?

What the hell does having an older computer model with the internet speed in his case? It's quite clear that the problem has to do with his ISP. People, stop talking out of your a**es!
    I still have a few ppc machines and they work perfectly and they navigate the web at a constant speed according to their specs. The computer is a "dumb" machine that does what the software tells it to. It uses the resources it has (internet speed, ram, hdd space, cpu), accordingly. It can't decide "gee it's sunny today... I think i'm gonna go full speed today!"
    If you can't say something useful, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

PS: OP! If you had looked upon the forum's layout a bit, you'd have seen the PPC section dedicated to older machines and maybe you wouldn't have posted this in the Intel/iMac section...

7. Lampmeister macrumors member

I don't know about that...an erie silence could result! ;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP,
    in all likelihood its not your computer but rather your ISP. I'd do is start visiting http://www.speedtest.net/ regularly. When things are going well, go there and record your speed and when things bog down, go back and redo the test. Then contact your ISP with what you found.

9. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I use a G4 and it's as fast if not faster for internet than my Pentium Dual Core(low end C2D) for internet :rolleyes:. If that's all you're going to say then don't say anything at all :mad: !!!

10. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Troubleshooting:
    Is it fast and slow on the same sites or different sites?
    What browser are you using?
    Is it fast or slow at the same time of day?
    What type of ISP are you using?

11. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

All Internet speeds are different depends where you are from the exchange.

12. Omnius macrumors 6502a

I was referencing the fact that the conversation was oriented more towards his inability to upgrade his OS further... Blindly attacking me because you focused on his preface, rather than the subject of his post (upgrading OS).

----------

I was referencing the fact that the conversation was oriented more towards his inability to upgrade his OS further... Blindly attacking me because you focused on his preface (complaints about sites that may or may not interact well with unsupported software), rather than the subject of his post (upgrading OS).

13. BA Baracus macrumors member

My comments relate to the hardware alone.

I have a 7 year old iMac G5 2.1 running OS X 10.5 and a 3 year old MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.6.

The difference in speed of operation between these two machines for 'basic' surfing is night and day. The iMac can get frustratingly slow and clunky where I have not experienced this on the MacBook. This is even before you think about flash sites, youtube videos etc etc. Both machines use the same internet connection.

However, my iMac G5 has given me long, trouble free service and I cannot imagine how a similar aged PC would stack up. The iMac covers all the bases of family computing life quite well but I know it will probably be retired soon.

An old computer is not related to internet speed but the computer needs to deal with the information that has been sent over the net and there is where the older architecture of OS X and G4 and G5s is starting to creak. Technology is moving on and the old stuff just cannot handle it as well. Your weakest link here might indeed be your G5 and 10.5.

14. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

OP - I would suggest looking into installing Linux on your Mac.

That way you will get a user friendly OS that is up to date and more responsive than 10.5.8