Mac Game Programming Basics?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by robvas, Aug 19, 2010.

1. robvas macrumors 68020

I'm new to the Mac and XCode and everything. I've known C for a long time and I've been playing around the with the Fruit book but I don't see anything on interacting with the keyboard, making real-time control loops, etc.

Is there a basic Mac game programming tutorial out there?

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You could try here.

http://makemacgames.com/mac-game-programming-links/

3. szymczyk macrumors regular

I recommend going with a cross-platform technology for writing Mac games. For 3D games, try Unity. Its free version lets you make games for Mac, Windows, and the Web.

For 2D games try a cross-platform game framework like SDL, SFML, or Allegro. I use SDL and OpenGL, where I use OpenGL for drawing and SDL for reading player input and creating a window. In the time you would spend learning how to read player input from the keyboard with Cocoa for the Mac, you could learn how to do it in SDL (or SFML or Allegro) and get Windows and Linux support for free.

4. robvas thread starter macrumors 68020

I got SDL setup and now I have spinning polygons!

I bought an OpenGL book a few years back and never did anything with it, so let's hope the information in it isn't obsolete.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Unlikely. The Mac still uses OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.20 with some extensions from later versions.