Mac Gamers: XP or Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dharma Logos, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dharma Logos macrumors newbie

I haven't set up my Mac with Boot Camp because I don't own any copies of Windows yet. When I do it the Windows partition will be almost exclusively for gaming. I've been thinking of XP because everyone says it's more reliable and because I prefer older games, but I worry about not being able to play newer games without Windows 7. Particularly I worry that with XP I may not be able to play the new Elder Scrolls game Skyrim. What do you guys think?

2. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

I went with Windows 7, no complaints here. I haven't had any stability problems at all, and all of the programs I've tried to run have worked great. XP really is showing it's age now, it doesn't even have DX10 support, let alone DX11

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Unless you can get xp for free, you might as well go with 7. It won't be long before Microsoft stops pushing updates for xp.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

Apple is already dropping support for XP with Bootcamp... and you need drivers. Really you shouldn't even consider using XP... only use Windows 7.

Me... I don't use either one, I do native games, or port them myself with Wineskin :p

6. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

7. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I play steam games in OS X, if I can. Otherwise, I use windows 7.

8. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I still use Windows XP, but most of my games are really old (from Windows 95 + 98 era) and XP is the last OS they work on.

Modern gamers should definitely use Windows 7 especially since some hardware manufactures are no longer making drivers for XP. Which means you're stuck with whatever Apple gives you if you choose to use XP.

9. 50548 Guest

Funny question to be asked on MacRumors. Please find the answer below:

MAC OS X.

10. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Not really, some games only run on Windows.;)

11. Kaidao macrumors newbie

Definitely run Win7 instead of XP. I'm running Win7 Ultimate right now and it's great for games. The FPS in all the games I've tried takes a huge drop on OSX for some reason, and I'm talking about the games made to run natively on OSX.