Mac Games, 330M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

What games do run good on OS X using the 330M? :cool:

And I'm not talking about games such as Chess ofcourse :D

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Hey hey hey... Chess can actually push your computer to the max, lots of maths involved ;)

I guess you could play star craft 2 even on High settings.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

WOW,Chrystal Starcraft I have heard and of course Chess and Pacman as well:D

4. itripped macrumors member

Well I'm only using the 320m on the 13", but I've been able to play Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Half Life 2, Team Fortress and Portal so far. Oh, Vendetta Online also plays very smoothly too.

These games are all playable in OS X. Of course, if you are overly concerned about the highest possible framerates, you will have to install Windows but for me the test has always been about response times - does the game feel laggy? etc. For the above titles I haven't had any issues with game lag, so it's been fine for me. I would expect that using the 330m (with dedicated memory) would only produce faster results.

I guess the real question would be: What games aren't playable at all with the 330m?

5. mynewromantica macrumors regular

I have no issues with with any Source based game(HL:2, DoD:S, Team Fortress 2, Portal, CS:S), Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

6. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha well its a very nice labtop graphics card

it has 512mb and should run everything do date decently =D lol SC2 is all i am concerned about =D

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You'll no doubt get (much) better frames under BootCamp and Win 7, but for some games the frame-rates are acceptable under OS X.

8. Argon21 macrumors member

The only game I play is WoW. And it runs very smoothly, even on maximum settings, on my Late 2006 MBP (C2D 2.33 Ghz) which has ATI X1600 graphics chip. Even newer games like Portal and Counter Strike run great and very smoothly. I would imagine that the newer 330 graphics chip is even faster still than my X1600.

9. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yes the 330M is loads faster than the X1600. I can tell just from use because my last iMac had the X1600 and the 330M was a huge improvement.

10. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok nice. I have those games, unless it requires a special Mac license :)

11. NJL6705 macrumors newbie

I just started playing Call of Duty World at War on my Boot Camp. By default, the settings are almost maxed out and it plays very very well. Rarely any lag at all, and when there is, it is hardly noticeable. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare for OS X also runs very smoothly. I have a Cider port of Assassin's Creed that runs well with the graphics pretty high. It has some lag, my guess would be because it's a cider port. You can easily max out the graphics on Bioshock for OS X and it will play flawlessly. I also saw a youtube video of a kid playing Modern Warfare 2. It looked good.

My specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

12. itripped macrumors member

Nope. it's all good. If you bought a game on steam, it's good for PC and MacOS. SO for example I can install TF2 on OS X and also install it on my Win7 partition so I can compare performance. The only catch is you can only have one active login at a time. (ie. can't log in on 2 computers with same ID)

Yeah, there are some hacks to work around even that a bit, but generally that's how Valve have set things up

13. Shodan macrumors member

Running Starcraft 2, shaders and lighting set to Low, everything else High/Ultra @ 1920x1200 resolution is very smooth - limited the FPS too 50, no slowdown aside Protoss Pylon Radius's.

Graphic driver updates and game fixes are on the way so it should fly on High.

My MBP is in thy siggy.

14. Meever macrumors 6502a

15. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

But I want to game in OS X :D

So starcraft 2 is out of the question as of now, the rest of the games runs very good on medium/high details? :)

16. Yixian macrumors 65816

Seriously, don't even bother gaming on OS X, bootcamp yourself a Win 7 installation and you will save yourself a lot of disappointment. I wouldn't play a game on OS X unless it was literally 5+ years old, and I'm not even exaggerating.

17. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Im playing all Source Games on high graphics. I can play starcraft 2 on high but not ultra settings and it runs perfectly fine.

18. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

The 330m GT is a entry level discrete solution. I have always found it kind of odd why apple puts entry level chips on their "pro" product. With Steam now on mac and more and more gaming coming to the Mac in the future, one would hope that Apple finally gets serious about graphics on their "pro" models.

I don't really want to have to buy a PC next summer. I like my battery life longer than 3 hours lol.

19. Meever macrumors 6502a

A) 330m is not entry. It'd higher end of mid range. 310m, now THAT'S ENTRY!

B) Why would high 3d performance have anything to do with being "pro"? When it comes to photo and audio work gpu does nothing. And people that do 3d work would want a mac pro anyways.

C) Apple is updating graphics drivers for boosted performance soon.

20. Yixian macrumors 65816

Just look around at the number of threads about starcraft 2 and steam alone, and this is from people who have bought a MBP anyway, imagine how many people in the world are holding out on Apple products because of the GPU. A lot, trust me.

Steve said gaming was a waste of time and then it went and became bigger than movies and music put together, it's already selling thousands upon thousands of iPod Touches and iPhones, it's time for him to wake up and stop shoehorning complete junk graphics cards into Macs.

21. Gamedevpro macrumors newbie

Gamedevpro

@@@WARNING!!!! VERY LONG WINDED RESPONSE!!!@@@

Im a free lancer game developer and i just recently bought my first mac (a macbook pro i7 glossy. I find it EXTREAMLY difficult to get high quality games to run on this platform because of the lack of power. currently im working on a FPS i call ColdShot (based on coldwar/ vietnam missions)(including veribles that would simulate closely to real combat rather then just blowing things up) but i find myself having to sacrifice game resolution and quality inorder to have were it is in playable terms (at least 25fps on 13" model). The 320m might be the fastest intergated graphics card but it is still intergrated graphics which bogs it down. also i can't assume that players are going to get the $1800 macbook pro just to play a $40 game... though the imac did move to a decent playing platform at the price of $1200, but people buy more then just the imac line. Right now my team uses the Blender game engine as our main engine, though it makes porting easy from windows to mac the lack of power is still there.:apple:

THIS PART MAY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
    the 330m also has problems in being a decent gpu also, being that it is the entry leve gpu from nividia. so far looking on steam most of the games are not that intesting or revolutionary, unless you like games called "Jolly Rover", "Puzzle Agent", and "Tidalis" most being just ordinary puzzle games that you might see on a flash game sites. there are a few good source titles like counter strike and team fortress but sadly just thoughs few and about 3 more. One of the main reasons gaming companies don't make mac versions is because of the lack of customers and profit they would gain from it, also they are very restricted in how graphical intesive they could make it do to not that many people own a top of the line mac. so mac gaming still is foggy in the future but has made a small step with the introduction of steam.:confused:
    we are also working on a mmorpg that should be revolutionary most of the details would left unsaid because of fear of big companies such as EA and Ubisoft might take em but it is called "project STRAYS". one of my friends who is a MAJOR mac fan says why not make a mac platform (since we are just mostly a bunch of college kids with little experince in networks.) but there is one problem we would need mac or xsevers that would cost $3000+ for just one blade and using any other sever would break apples eula and force us to buy from them that would be over $20,000usa inorder to fit over 5,000 players comfortbly with a small vent, and support, and storage for the maps and ncps. also we cant just port it and hope for the best, we would need at least 2 high powered mac pros to test and fix bugs on which would be another $8,000usa or we would be developing blindly. so the idea of porting the mmo to the mac platform was dropped before we could even start cause of lack of funding from the school, the club, and the blender foundation (since their main focus is the Durian project).:(

So our game "Levitate"(basically it is a sandbox game with a little ship) which is one of our test projects is ready to go on the mac and so is the alpha for a rpg "(no name for it yet) but called the code name (Milan)" is also undergoing testing. the name of our group is DARKWIND PRODUCTIONS and we are a brand new group, we plan to make more games for the mac in the future and help you guys out. our site will be up soon (i hope...) so when it is up you can check it out and download some mac games.:D

22. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Games i Play

I frequently play Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Call Of Duty 6 Modern Warfare 2 and many World at War. Personally you should i can play all modern games on at least medium settings :p

and +1 to chess :D