Mac Get's Stuck at Apple Logo With A Loading Circle.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LuckySpin, Aug 28, 2009.

1. LuckySpin macrumors newbie

Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is where im supposed to post this thread but i found this thread here on the website.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-562475.html

Well I was reading on that one, since the exact same problem he had, I have now. I turned of my computer and when turning it on again it got stuck in the apple logo with a loading circle in the bottom of it. I have tried booting it using CMD + S but nothing seems to be working. It does the same thing.

In the other guys thread, he ending up taking it to a Genius and they fixed it for him, I don't have warranty no more, so I would like to do it myself.

I have an old MacBook Pro that came with Tiger, I installed a 500GB harddrive with tiger and then upgraded to Leopard. So im not sure if that helps in things i could do with start up disks or something.

Right now i booted of my old hard drive which I have in an enclosure, i tried going into disk utility to check my 500gb hard drive but it tells me this. "The Disk '"Mac HD"' could not be unmounted." I also have it partitioned with Windows on the other half.

Could there be something I could do besides having to reinstall everything? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

try shutting it down (hold power button)

Then turn it back on while holding Command(apple key) + V

That should bring it into Verbose mode where it will display the loading processes, and it may give you a hint as to what the problem is.

3. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks.. Let me restart and try that and ill be back with the results.

4. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

all i saw of any sort of error was Disk01: I/O Error Thats what i saw. I also got this image when I boot from my external enclosure.

[​IMG]

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Sounds like the internal hard drive is dying. I would make sure you have copies of your files ASAP, but DONT copy over any old backups you might have, since you might not be able to get a good backup now...

6. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i go about doing this backup? can i just copy the files into an external? N if so how do i reformat?

7. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

also i have my hard drive partitioned and my windows works just find only my mac... so how can my hard drive be dying then?

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Could be corrupted sectors on your Mac partition...

9. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to un corrupt it? I booted from the leapord disk and then went to disk utilities from there and tried to do a repair, but then i got this error. VVVV so im not sure what to do now.. If i have to reformat the drive can i do only the apple partition of it.. or do i have to do everything? If i lose everything i lost it.. but how do i reformat it?

[​IMG]

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Most likely a bad HD better to be safe than sorry....

11. LuckySpin thread starter macrumors newbie

so u think its my hard drive? Should i return it? If i want to reformat and install leopard again.. can i use the leopard cd or do i have to use my old tiger disks that came with my computer?

N how do i reformat?