Mac gfx card fan...very loud very quickly

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mushroomgod, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Hi All..

I have 3 macpros (all same spec 3 gigs/ati 1900)...all of them work fine (mostly)... over the last few days I have installed a few games running under xp.

2 of my 3 macs are fine, they run the games at the highest setting...and there all very quite. My 3rd mac though, after maybe 2 mins of play the fan kicks in..and its loud, it sounds like its going to explode!

And often it crashes mid game.

now, this particular mac is my oldest, it has an early version of Bootcamp on it, but I wouldn't have thought this would make any difference.

Also..im not 100% sure its a gfx card fan, it could be the Macs fan

anyway...anyone have any thoughts?

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The inlet for the graphics cards cooling system isn't clogged with dust is is?

3. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

iv just given it a good clean, the inlet was packed with dust so thats all gone now, im also updating firmware (in macos) and updating all the bootcamp drivers....will see what happens after that

:)

4. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Chances are if the inlet was clogged with dust, there is more dust packed inside the cooler too. I suggest taking the card right out and blowing all the dust out of every place possible on that card.

5. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

well...i cleaned it, and updated bootcamp and the firmware and its all working great now...nit sure what the problem was but its all fixed now! :)

cheers guys

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26