Mac given back

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anon8mous, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Anon8mous, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

Anon8mous macrumors newbie

Edit: I went into the apple store they told me either I give them the money for a new one or they confiscated my current one or even make it a police issue. I obviously gave them the laptop back, I didn't realise it was such a big issue. Thanks to all the helpful people on this thread who were extremely kind and gave the macrumors a good name.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As much as you should have contacted about giving you the other computer, in this instance you should disavow any knowledge about the other machine.

For this one, they cannot "confiscate" your computer. Even if you don't have the receipt to prove it you purchased it in good faith.

Anyways if your computer was replaced you should have a receipt stating the warranty exchange date; it would have a serial number on it? That's a good proof of purchase as any.

3. MaulRx Suspended

They can't confiscate your computer.

You should have gave the second one back. Taking two was technically a crime. Not to mention karma and all...

4. Anon8mous thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it still technically a crime if I was unintentionally given it?

5. MaulRx Suspended

Yes, it's theft by deception. Now would you be found guilty...it's a toss up. If the second computer wasn't solicited i.e. you ordered one and two was in the box then it's not illegal(still, give it back!) Being in store, you were handed one back and knowing you had yours you took another when handed one.

6. Adonys macrumors regular

Well, You knew it wasn't yours, why not give it back? Look up the word integrity it might help you someday....:rolleyes:

7. mneblett macrumors 6502

No question -- you knew it wasn't yours when you walked out with it.

8. Anon8mous thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha thanks for the advice.

So would I not get in trouble going into the store? I am able to take it far away to an apple store if that would help at all..

9. Adonys macrumors regular

Wow...just..... wow !!!!! smfh .

just wondering how old are you? because my 5 year old nephew knows right from wrong for taking that doesn't belong to him.

10. MaulRx Suspended

If you are recognized at the same store they could pursue a trespass for shoplifting and ban you from their premise. That's a long maybe.

Push come to shove if the computer you didn't hock is backed with a receipt and is still in warranty, an Apple store somewhere will help you.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Karma coming around.

You have no right to expect it to be fixed, it isn't under warranty as it isn't legally yours. They might recognise you, they might recognize its serial in any Apple store or repair facility if it has been flagged as stolen. It might have been flagged as stolen as you stole it.

12. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I am in a bind - Macbook Pro retina - May get confiscated

These things do happen. I received a day one release xbox one before Christmas. The machine was rattling inside and received a replacement. I had a guy phone me up to arrange collection before the new year, he said he would call me back to arrange a time they would pick up the package. That call had never came. I still have the original.

Although the OPs post and theft is driven by greed and I'm kind of glad that your machine is screwed up, karma. I hope this teaches you a lesson.

13. philxor macrumors regular

So were you standing there with two new laptops? And the second guy didn't notice you holding the first one?

If you were written up to receive a 1 for 1 warranty exchange, and took two laptops, it could be construed as theft. I don't think they are going to confiscate your existing broken laptop, but if they somehow see they gave you two they make try to collect the debt...

Now if it was shipped to your house, they have no recourse. Unsolicited items shipped to your house are yours to keep.

14. MaulRx Suspended

I bet someone remembered when they were being fired that day....

15. mhdena macrumors 6502

The Op is a thief, and no doubt they have video footage of him as well:eek::eek:

There are a lot of dumb thieves now days.

16. blooperz macrumors 6502

If the serial number is flagged in the system (who knows) than it won't matter if you take it to a store further away.

17. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

This post has got to be a hoax,

If it's true , your going to jail, sooner or later you'll be living in a jail cell, because if you did it once you'll do it again.

I think a moderator get your IP address and report it your ISP and local law enforcement.

18. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Still having trouble understanding how this is not a theft.
    You sold a Macbook that was "accidentally" given out to you twice. You were completely aware of the issue but you decided to sell that one anyways?
    Would you have done the same thing if they "accidentally" gave you 2 extra bills instead?

Besides, I'm surprised by your stupidity.
    I'm sure Apple makes that kind of mistakes every day, but you decided to make this public.
    Just wow..

Also from this:
    "EMPHASIS ON I KEPT THE LEGALLY BOUGHT ONE THAT WAS REPLACED"
    You realize that the other one was NOT "legally bought".
    Enough said

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

You would be surprised how many people don't have a concept of integrity these days. Or honesty. Or ethics.

20. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

This is how theft is described by the law. The courts wont use your definition.

A person commits the offense of retail theft when he knowingly:

(1) Takes possession of, conceals, carries away, transfers or causes to be carried away or transferred, any merchandise in a retail mercantile establishment with the intention of retaining such merchandise or with the intention of depriving the merchant permanently of the possession, use or benefit of such merchandise without paying the retail value of such merchandise....

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You got something that you had no right to get and didn't pay for. I'd say that the store had every right in demanding the computer or calling the police. You may not have walked out of the apple store with a laptop under your jacket but the end result is the same, you have a computer that you did not pay for and you benefited from by selling it.