.Mac/gmail/hotmail --> Which to use with mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdevoogh, May 7, 2008.

1. rdevoogh macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

My first iMac came in the mail yesterday, and am in the process of setting it up. After watching the Mail application video on the apple website, I really want to find a way to use it. The problem is I currently have a free hotmail account, and from what I have read on the topic I might be unable to link this address to Mail. I have considered setting up a gmail account if that will work. I hope I do not have to pay for a .Mac membership to use this application. Is there a free option for using this application?

Thanks

2. jestrs macrumors newbie

3. spooky mulder macrumors regular

Gmail will work, I have been using it for almost a yr now and it works fine. It's easy to set up once you read the info in google mail on how to set up imap. If you don't already know how, read what google has to say, step by step, before you do anything in Mac mail.

4. rdevoogh thread starter macrumors newbie

another question, it would be ideal to use one email for personal messages that is compatible with mac mail (as previously discussed) but also work with ichat. will gmail or yahoo mail fit this description?

thanks for all the help

5. spooky mulder macrumors regular

you can use gmail in ichat, but it is a hassle to set up yahoo because it is not supported. I personally use Adium , it handles everything pretty well. even yahoo and msn. I don't know if you will be able to access ur mail through ichat even with a google talk account, i have never done it so i really can't say. But you will be able to converse with people who also have google talk through ichat.

6. dubmick macrumors member

Yeah I have gmail set up with imap in Mail too. Very handy to have imap.

7. MacAodh macrumors regular

I use gmail with pop, i used to use IMAP but it didn't seam to work so well if you were offline

8. rdevoogh thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, next question is how to set up the pop mail account with gmail. i'm sure there are a bunch of directions previously posted online. any links?

9. baslotto macrumors regular

Assuming you got Leopard installed.
    Just open Mail and put in your user name and password. It automatically creates the account without asking POP or SMPT....
    It can't get easier than this.

Bas.

10. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

You can still use your free hotmail account, check the video HERE

The only problem is that you can't send email from Mail, but if you don't send many emails and just want it to check your inbox it works a treat. You can always just use the online version to send emails though

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Absolutely. When I purchased my MBP, I didn't have to set anything up since it already had Leopard installed. Just typed in my username and password, and Mail did the rest. It's as simply as that.

I have my Gmail e-mail address linked up with my Mail account, and it's worked flawlessly.

12. spooky mulder macrumors regular

log into your google home page and click on, >settings>forwarding and pop/imap... and follow instructions provided by google.