Mac Goes From Sleep To Comatose

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macmonter, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

It's the same occasional problem I had on my old Compac PC - my Mac goes into sleep mode but won't awaken. It occurs about 1 out of 10 times that when I click the mouse to wake up my sleeping Mac that the monitor awakes from a black screen to display the cosmos desktop but nothing else (that is not my selected desktop when the Mac is working). No dock icons display and no sound of the hard drive coming to life. The only way to get it out of its coma is to depress the on/off button until it shuts down - wait 10 seconds and then restart.

Is this a common problem in both PCs and Macs?

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I had the same problem with my 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. I was able to get replacement after sending it in.

3. Macmonter thread starter macrumors regular

Macmonter

WOW! Having to return my Mac Pro after having spent several weeks adding/updating applications on both the Mac OS and XP seems drastic, especially since the problem is occasional and I can get it back to working. It's the inconvenience that's annoying! I had hoped that updating to 10.5.5 would solve the problem, but, no! I lived with the problem on my old PC for 8 years. So, I guess I'll live with it for as long as I have this Mac or until Apple solves the problem.

4. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'm pretty sure that it was my logic board that was at fault. I don't think that your problem is going to go away. Yes, it was a colossal pain to remove my data before sending it in and then to reinstall everything after the fact (I had to do this many times before finally getting a drive for Time Machine to make everything easier).