Mac Going in for Repair....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacHound, Sep 23, 2008.

1. MacHound macrumors newbie

What do I need to do? How to I make sure my stuff stays mine? They asked for my password - should I change it?

I'm a little worried about sending it away. Please HELP!

2. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Take picture of all sides in case they scratch it.

3. Purple Pelican macrumors member

I would change the password, make sure there's no sensitive information on the drive, and back everything up.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

^^^

Agreed. A default password of 123abc usually works, or no password at all.
    Backup everything.

TEG

5. MacHound thread starter macrumors newbie

You are going to think I'm a dummy - but how do I back everything up? I have the Time Machine icon, doesn't that do it?

I'm so nervous I may not even send it in. I don't want anything messed with, or any websites with my passwords or even credit card #'s saved.....

I don't know what I'm doing.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It depends on what the problem is, and if it is Apple you are sending it too, then I would not worry if they ask you for a password, but they still shouldn't need to do that. I would back up and then delete any sensitive files off of your computer if you are really worried, and then remove the password. And make a Time Machine backup of your Mac just incase if it comes back with a new hard drive or something of the sort. But I wouldn't be too worried about this.

7. Purple Pelican macrumors member

If you have a large enough external HD, use the restore option under Disk Utility. Alternatively, you could drag and drop the files you need manually into the external drive.

If you want to wipe all information off your hard drive, erase the disk through disk utility. IF YOU DO THIS, YOU MUST BACK UP EVERYTHING.

8. Purple Pelican macrumors member

But I wouldn't be too paranoid about ID theft if I were sending it to Apple.

9. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Then again you can never be too careful. My cousin got his identity stolen and it was after his computer was in for repairs (it happened shortly after that). It might of been a coincidence, but they never caught the guy and it took 2 years before his credit was restored. You just never know who will be working on it. I hope Apple has some security measures in place for this, but don't they send it out to others sometimes?

Back-up your stuff and make sure you delete anything important like CC numbers, addresses, phone numbers, ect..

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    My suggestion:
    Back everything up, then create a new user for them to work in if they need to with name and password of apple (fairly standard operating procedure for Apple repairs).

Being a notebook, it's probably going to Flextronics. I've sent many notebooks there with private information on them and never had a problem (except for them coming back broken ;) ).