.Mac+Google Apps+Personal Domain=big damn problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pbbaker123, Jun 7, 2008.

1. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

My site (gracybaker.com) is parked on Godaddy.com I have the cname pointed to web.mac.com because I wanted to use .mac for one-step publishing since my site is built in iweb.

I think this is a problem, because I want to also use Google apps for my email. I have the domain registered with Google Apps and at first the email worked using MX records pointed to google.

It has been long enough for records to propagate. I can send email with my '@gracybaker.com just fine, but any mail sent there is returned.

BTW, I went .mac since I had it and didn't want to pay godaddy monthly.

I hope this post makes sense. Also, the email worked fine until I pointed the cname to web.mac.com so I can use .mac as the host, but I don't understand why that affects the mx records.

Thanks

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

So are you looking for your domain to be hosted with your .Mac account?

3. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

It is. It is up and running, hosted on .Mac, register and parked on godaddy. I am trying to use Google apps mail (me@mydomain.com) since I already use gmail for my personal mail. I can send mail with the me@mydomain (Google apps mail) but any test emails sent to it are bounced back to sender.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Who is running your email server, where your MX Records point too. Do you have a email setup with GoDaddy that then forwards your email onto your gmail account or something. I'm not following what you mean by changing your MX to point to google, google doesn't stand up email servers for people so you email is not going anywhere, thats why all replies are getting bounced. The emails have no where to go.

Since you have the domain registered with godaddy. Just Setup a forward for the domain name, which I assume you have it working. Setup an email server with godaddy, use a credit that you probably got when you purchased the domain, and just have the email forwarded to your .mac email address or actually use the email storage area, that is up to you.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

That is his problem because he stopped hosting with godaddy he will not be able to do that. I do not believe the with .Mac that you can set it to host your email. This might be one of the downfalls.

6. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

I have all MX records pointed to Google. I just used godaddy's Google tool, so maybe that will work....

7. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

That will not work you cannot do that cause you have to be setup on google server for your domain name

8. karen appleseed macrumors newbie

Google Apps.

Buying a domain with Google Apps was my biggest mistake. I hate their page creator, its so outdated. I swear using dreamweaver and flash is probably easier. You can't transfer you web pages to google apps through ftp and you definitely can't take your google apps pages somewhere else. You have to forward your server and mask it if you want to use another application. Google apps is the first place that I buy a domain and the last. Everything is super outdated and as user friendly is it may be, you get what you pay for. Since you're paying zilch for using that idiotic page creator, you get zilch in return. Going to godaddy.com and forwarding my domain to .mac and then having to mask it has been a friggin headache. I HATE GOOGLE APPS.!

9. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I'm not up on who "keeps" the domain names and whether you can move them but can't you just move your domain name registration to someone like Register.com (where I have three of mine registered). It's then easy to "point your JoeDoe.com to mac.com?
    Alan

10. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

Solved

I switched the hosting back to godaddy and Google Apps started working immediately. I guess there is an issue with sharing other services while hosting on .Mac.

11. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

what's so funny is i'm having this same problem.

registered the Domain through GoDaddy, signed up for .Mac and did the personal domain thing, and then was going to use Google Apps for my email except it never verifies the MX records, though i know i set them up right (done it 4 times now). What the hell? Is it something with changing the CNAME to point to .mac? Man i wish this worked.

-JE