Mac GPU and FPS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maigreamour, Jul 31, 2009.

1. maigreamour macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro with a 512mb video card. I play this game, Medal of Honor, but I only get around 60 frames per second and it;s also kind of jumpy. I don't understand why I get so little when I have such a good video card. I tried lowering and increasing my graphics in the game, and the FPS stays pretty much the same wether the graphics are high or low. I also tried entering a command to increase the FPS limit, but it still stays the same... I just don't get it.

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

GPU's vram does not determine the processing power of the gpu. What gpu do you have? just because it has 512mb's of vram does not mean its any better then a card with 256mb's of vram ( of course it depends on what your doing ) but that is most likely the fastest your going to get that card without overclocking it.

EDIT: if you bought it recently like you say then you most likely have a nvidia 9600m gt card which really is not all that fast. The prev gen MBP's had an 8600m gt and just because there is a 1000 number difference between the two don't be fooled the 9600m gt is only like 5-10% faster then the old 8600m gt which is not saying much... If you wanted to play games you should have got a desktop the iMac top end model has a nvidia GT130 which is roughly 2.5x's faster then your 9600m gt. But then again if you wanted it to game on your should not have got a mac to begin with you can build a gaming pc or have someone build you one for 800 dollars that will have much better specs for gaming then your laptop. Just saying..

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

That is very likely as well. some games are FPS limited

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Which Medal of Honor are you playing; Allied Assault, Breakthrough or Airborne?

ChrisN

6. maigreamour thread starter macrumors newbie

7. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Sounds like the game is forcing VSYNC on and limiting you to your screen refresh rate - 60hz. There might be an option to turn this off. Still, 60fps is a very very fluid experience, there shouldn't be any "jumpiness" unless something else is very wrong. Are you low on RAM?

8. doox00 macrumors regular

60fps is actually very good, I would guess vsync is on also as to why its at just 60fps, no more/no less, I personally cannot play games with vsync on, it is not nearly as smooth as with it off.

9. morepower7 macrumors member

yea most game developers want atleast 60 fps because of its fluidity

10. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

what are you talking about ONLY 60fps... most game developers aim for 60fps and many games on the PS3 dont even go up to 60fps they get around 30

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Most LCD screens cannot provide more than 60 FPS anyway!