Mac Group in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zelet, Nov 11, 2007.

1. zelet macrumors regular

I'm thinking of starting a group in KC that meets once a month or so. My goal is to create a group geared more toward younger people and more unorganized than a MUG.

Anybody read the forums from the KC area? What do you think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you want to organize an unorganized mac users group that isn't a user group but just a group and you want only young people? Just checking, I'm too old no doubt but I'd be interested to see how you organize your unorganized user group that isn't a user group for younger people. :)

3. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should clarify.

I would like the group to be geared toward young professionals that actually know something about technology and follow the industry.

By unorganized I mean there wont be a group president or speakers. People would just gather at a pre-determined place to shoot the **** about whatever they want for a while.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sure, I'd probably come if you put something together.

5. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

Well, spread the word and hopefully we'll get some people together. There is a good coffee house off of 87th and I35/69 that would be a decent place to meet but I'm up for other places as well.

I think it would be a great opportunity to get people together with similar interests for networking and hanging out.

6. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

you know, I was almost interested, but the thought of having to trek into JOCO just makes me twitch a little bit.

(I am sorta kidding. er, well....)

:)

7. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said I'm flexible. Once we get a few people together we can figure out what is central for most.

Since I'm new to the KC area I'm looking for (and really want) some suggestions.

edit: One plus about Blackdog (that coffee house)... there seem to be an unusually high number of Mac users that go there. :)

8. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

it was more of my own personal in-joke than anything else. I grew up in JOCO, moved away for several years and now I'm back on the Missouri side for school.

What type of group are you aiming to set up, really? Because beyond the basics (I can do a couple of things in Terminal) I don't really know much. There are things I would be interested in if I had the time/money (photoshop, video editing, etc) but I don't have those resources right now to learn so I'm not sure how much of a boon I would be to the conversation.

9. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking an informal get-together with people that share a common interest. I figured it would be a good networking event and a good time.

I'm really open for suggestions on everything. If people want to have a specific topic for the get-together we could do that too.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm new in the area too (moved here in June) so I think it would be great to meet some people with common interests. Even if it's just a few people at the beginning that's alright. It would grow over time...

11. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm in, but I must insist it be somewhere betweeen downtown and the Plaza. :D

12. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

Well that makes four so far. Not a bad turn out from one forum post. I'm going to let this sit for a little while longer to see if we can get any other people.

In the mean time feel free to cross-post in other Mac forums - see if we can get even more people together. In about a week I'll send out PMs about when and where.

Post in here if you have any suggestions for where to meet.

13. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Nowhere near your location, but I am the President of the Vancouver BC Mac user group and can tell you from personal experience that we have an impossible time getting younger people out.

We offer all kinds of presentation topics and free gifts and discounted subscription costs but younger people just don't seem interested.

You can blame things like Google for it, but people just don't get much out of user groups nowadays. Sure, I get around 40 - 50 people each month, but they're always the same ones. No fresh blood, no new ideas, no volunteers for presentation topics. They just want to come out and talk with their friends and drink coffee.

]You can probably sense my frustration, but I'm not really frustrated with the people, because I feel that user groups have had their day in the spotlight. It's just too easy to communicate via the likes of Mac Rumors and IM. And we can all answer our own questions online.

Good luck with you group, I hope you have a lot more success than mine is having right now. I'd love to see a rebirth in user groups.

Apple doesn't help much either. I used to be a member of a Windows .Net programming group, and to their credit, Microsoft really seems to care about user groups. They'd sponsor the whole evening once a month. Paying for the room, supplying pizza and refreshments, supplying presenters and all kinds of freebies. And it's really hard to get Apple to come out and when they do we get a sales presentation. It's still interesting but that's all you get.

Anyway, good luck.

Cheers.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm probably too old for your group too but I'd come. ;)

To the OP...I get it, I was just being my usual sassy-ass self. :p

15. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

You'd better believe you would! Or there'd be trouble!

16. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

Well, age has nothing to do with being old or not in my book. I just didn't want to have conversations about how the damn kids wont stay off of our lawns. :)

17. zelet thread starter macrumors regular

I've sent out PMs today about a get together. If you are interested but haven't gotten a PM please either PM me or reply to this thread.