Mac GTX 970's hit eBay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philliplakis, Mar 15, 2015.

1. philliplakis macrumors member

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Yeah, got an email from one of their customers.

Wanted to know why their card ran like crap and said "MacVidCards" in system profiler

They were using one of our roms on wrong card.

Guarantee they are using our 980 rom

3. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

MVC are you planning on offering the 970? Any possible ETA?

4. MacVidCards Suspended

The good news is yes.

We have been working on one that reduces boot time by 5 seconds.

Very soon

5. netkas macrumors 65816

And brings macpro 3,1 support.

6. evopanop macrumors member

evopanop

Awesome, can't wait! :D Any ballpark for pricing?

7. Executor macrumors member

Nice to hear, I know it may be a bit too early but do you have any plans to modify the Titan X?

8. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I wish macvidcards could figure out some of the dual cards, like the 5970, 590, 690, or the asus mars dual 760, or the big bad titanz!

9. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi Philiplakis. I was able to purchased a Nivdia GTX770 4Gb GPU from this eBay seller and I am satisfied with the card's performance and his services. The card runs fine and quiet, cooler than my other cards and the PCIe fan speed is normal. The GPU I got was new with the original box, cables and accessories, poster and CD. The 2 DVi ports and Display Port provides the boot screen. I have not tested the HDMI port if it has the boot screen. Before purchasing, I asked the seller if he modifies the cards himself and the rom is not copied from Macvidcards or anyone else. I wanted to get to know the seller and that it's safe to make the purchase. The boot rom revision of the card I purchased had "PHX.systems". Upon checking his eBay listing now, the screenshot of the rom revision has been changed to "MacProFX.com"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am copy pasting below the seller's previous reply when I inquired if he mods the cards himself or the rom revision is not copied from anyone:

Physically, no modifications are needed to convert an NVIDIA GPU based PC graphics card to a Mac Pro compatible card. Back in the days the EEPROM chip needed to be upgraded from 2MBit to 4Mbit so that the firmware would fit, but that is no longer necessary since the firmware can either be shortened, or newer firmware that ships with video cards is already short enough that even when the Mac Pro compatible EFI is added to it, it will still fit in a 2MBit EEPROM chip. The firmware for each card has to be custom made to match the board and memory and also GPU revision, so it's not as simple as copying it from another card, as it won't work right.

To put it in layman terns, all this EFI code does provide the user with a usable Mac Pro video card. It allows for Boot Screen, Options Screen, Bootcamp, and most importantly, it allows the card to be detected as a native device so that the user can take advantage of PCI-E 2.0 amongst other things. However we have to thank NVIDIA for writing proper drivers, otherwise we wouldn't be able to use these cards in OS X.

The firmware is still owned by NVIDIA, and no one can claim any kind of copyright or intellectual property on it. To draw a comparison, if you install a turbocharger on your Mazda Miata (a popular mod, by the way), you can't claim that you own that engine design all of a sudden, but you can charge a little bit more for the vehicle because of time, effort and parts that you put into it.

I hope that this clarifies your questions, however, if you have any more, please don't hesitate to ask.

10. flowrider, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^IOW - He stole it:eek:

To buy from someone who doesn't participate in a forum (like this one) and is not a known entity as far as support goes, is IMHO, faulty thinking.

Lou

11. MacVidCards Suspended

The guy is a liar and thief.

His sole contribution to the rom is removing our name and putting his in.

I can even prove that. It was in fact a GTX770 customer of his who wrote showing me screenshots with my name in System Profiler of his cards. The card was glitchy and crashed a lot so they sent it back when slippery tongue sent him a different one where he had finally figured out how to put his name in system profiler.

If you asked these guys about how the EFI works, they wouldn't have a clue.

When you support us you support future choices. When you support the copy & paste code kiddies, you support them buying new video games.

Here is the email from the customer he screwed over:

Dear macvidcards,

Thanks for your reply. Interesting theory about the 680 ROM -- the card doesn't even get the performance of a 680! Here's the item # 171343338564

I've already sent this back to him to be re-flashed because he said Nvidia kept changing drivers and they didn't work with Mavericks so his firmware needed to be modified. Interestingly, when he first sent it to me the system profiler showed MacVidCards as the ROM revision (see 4th picture). But unfortunately whatever he did didn't improve performance.

The seller has satisfied customers, so not sure why this card is having trouble with my system and the others seem to be happy.

BTW, I was able to stop the 2 displays from showing up (when only 1 was connected) by selecting use OSX default driver instead of NVidea web driver (v . But unfortunately that didn't improve performance.

Interestingly, the 770 does get decent results in GPUTest 0.7.0 where my 5770 gets dismal ones. But for the software I actually use (Final Cut, Compressor, Motion and Davinci Resolve) the 770 is seldom much better and often worse than my old 5770.

As much as I don't want to turn to buyer protection, if I need to go that route, I'd need a good argument in order to make it work in my favor. The seller's position is that the card is working which it is but my position is that it's not performing as expected and as it should. He also says that certain applications and benchmarks don't recognize the card (ie cinebench).

How could we determine if your hypothesis about the ROM flashing shortcut is correct or otherwise present a convincing case so Ebay would find in my favor and allow me to use buyer protection over the sellers anticipated objections?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I've include some screenshots I thought might be relevant.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. philliplakis thread starter macrumors member

I couldn't agree more.

Even if he did develop the rom, to not at lease have input into issues that arise with nvidia cards in macs is enough for me not to purchase. Nektas & MVC have at least given back to the community that makes them the money from the cards.

13. MacVidCards Suspended

Appreciate the votes of support.

To sum up that email I got, someone bought a 770 from those guys. It ran like crap but had my name in "rom revision" field. They lied and and said it was a driver problem. They reflashed it but still no fix. The buyer turned to me for a fix since my name was on the screen. They had evidently just been flashing the rom they got on whatever card they found. I have at least 10@ GTX770 roms at this point, they keep changing RAM chips.

They were basically saying to him "Give us time to steal a new rom" since they couldn't figure out to to write one themselves.

This is NOT who you want to get a card from. Notice the numerous lies and evasions in the above and Masonic's email.