Mac hacked

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Eak456, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Eak456 macrumors newbie

the problem i have is that someone is getting information about the time i go online (and the time i disconnect), probably the application sends notifications to a mobile phone.
    i gave permissions to this application cause i added a security exception for it (thru the browser).
    Now i want to know what is the application doing it and how i can disactivate it.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You need to provide a lot more information. What Mac model, what OS version?
    How do you know that someone is getting information? Who is getting the information?
    What application did you give permission to? How did you do this, exactly?

It doesn't sound like you been hacked: you've installed some app that is possibly malicious. Sounds like you've allowed incoming connections for it through the FireWall. Check the FireWall settings in System Preferences.

If you don't know how to remove the app, then you need to reinstall OS X and change your passwords.

3. Eak456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 10.7.4 Lion

I accepted the malicious link because i was asked to do so (at work)
    although i got suspicious.

Firewall is off.

I have no idea what is the application doing it.
    I watched the active processes when i connect/disconnect but it's impossible for me to know what's the application sending notifications.

4. 1934hotrod macrumors regular

1934hotrod

Is it your property, or the companies? If it is the companies, it is very simple they are watching what you are doing with their property. As they should BTW.

Cheers,
    Greg

5. manual123 macrumors member

how do you know person X is getting notified?

6. Eak456 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is MINE :)

not the company's
    and NO they shouldn't control me in such a way (cause my contract doesn't define any restriction on the time I should come into the office).
    I know the colleague who is getting notified

7. BeeJee macrumors 6502

More information........ What program, why was it downloaded, why is your firewall off, why haven't you asked the colleague about them receiving your information?

8. Eak456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to find out what is the program!

at the time, I just clicked on a link that they asked me,
    I got suspicious but didn't say anything (pointless at that time, say what?)

The application has my permission because the browser asked me for a security exception.

Should I turn the firewall on?

9. dinggus macrumors 65816

You were asked to accept a malicious link and you did...

You have a firewall, but you turned it off...

Go to the firewall settings and you can deny the service.

10. Eak456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I turned the firewall on,
    and i indicate Web sharing as the only application allowed to receive incoming connections.

Is this enough?

"Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" is unchecked

Is it possible to know what is the malicious signed software that gives notifications everytime i go online/offline?

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think there's a trial period for "Little Snitch". Download and install that. By default, it will let you know everything incoming and outgoing request.

12. dinggus macrumors 65816

What is the name of this application? Because when you go into the Firewall Options, find it, then click the remove icon "-".

13. Eak456 thread starter macrumors newbie

using the little snitch i show a msg about
    java bootstrap twitter.com

I do not remember the msg very well, i cannot reproduce it.
    No twitter class is being used by an application as far as i know.

14. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

OP, you're not giving us much to go on.

Do you still have the link that you clicked on?
    Was it to an external site or was it to an internal application?

It is possible that your employer has rules regarding computers that are on their network. If it is their network, then they DO have the right to demand that all computers on it have X software installed.

There are several ways to see what processes are running on your computer. You are just looking for one that doesn't belong. What is the name of the application that you see?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even though you didn't give enough useful information for anyone to help, I can tell you with 99.999% accuracy that your Mac was not hacked. Just because you don't understand what your Mac is doing doesn't mean it was hacked.