mac hangs at boot .. unmounted HDD someone must konw how to fix this!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calcalcal, Jun 12, 2008.

1. calcalcal macrumors newbie

hey folks

the other day i was mucking around on my macbook (10.5, 2 gigs of ram, 2.4)
    and i realised that in finder/pathfinder that my one and only harddrive's
    eject button was missing... i dont konw wat caused this as my mac has been
    continually been on for a few days.. (using sleep instead of shutdown)
    but after noticing this i tried to install a few dmgs : "no mountable file systems"

so i tried to reboot and but it just hangs on the grey screen with the initial spinning wheel... im quite new to mac so i dont konw how to boot up with the disc and do stuff like that..

but i did read on another thread to boot with ctrl S and then type in /sbin/fsck -fy
    it said the hdd was ok .. i just think i need to mount it again??????

or is that just crazy talk ???

any help would be much appreciated

oh and also, when the os was working all good i did try "disk utility" , it said that the hdd was/is fine .. but when i selected it and tried to click on mount i couldnt.. it was greyed out!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

1. There isn't an eject button by internal hard drives in the Finder.

2. If your system was running, your primary hard drive was already mounted - hence you could not mount it again via Disk Utility

3. The 'no mountable file systems' prompt when mounting a .dmg usually means that the dmg is corrupt - it could, however, also be indicative of a deeper problem within your installation of OS X.

Hard to tell what the problem is now from your description. It may be a HD failure, or, more likely, it may simply be a corrupt system file. If you boot from your install DVD, you should be able to do an 'archive and install', which will replace your operating system whilst not affecting your user data or applications. That's probably the easiest way forward at this point.

3. calcalcal thread starter macrumors newbie

archive and install ? sounds awesome

how much will it change???

do i just hold c on startup?

ill let you konw how it goes,

thanks for the feedback !