mac hard drive or seperate hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jw2110, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jw2110 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro, very standard, 150 gb. i need more memory basically and was wandering whether i should increase the memory on the mac itself or buy one of those external hardrives for £60 with like 500 gb on it or whatever.

what do you think?

Josh

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most likely get the internal drive, unless your computer isn't portable.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Memory is not hard drive space. Which do you need? More space or more ram? It sound like more space, you have 150 GB now? I didn't know that was possible but ok all the same. I would look to upgrading your hard drive (internal) but an external is never a waste of money and can be your Time Machine backup disk if wanted.

However, if you're not technically inclined at all and do not want to pay for a hard drive upgrade, I would get the external hard drive. Just know that whatever you're storing won't be accessible without plugging it in (unless you wish to discuss network hard drives and the likes).
    I think you should slow down and invest a couple more minutes reading a post and actually answering it.

4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

This is a forum of opinions, people can do and say as they please.

I would definitely go for an internal drive, I went from a stock 200gb drive, to a 320gb, and now to a 500gb drive. Nothing beats having more internal space, whether you need it or not, remember it is good practice to leave at least 10 to 20% free space on a HD for stable performance. I have 100gb of photos and around 50gb of tv episodes on the internal harddrive. I still have 180gb free and I back up to my Time Capsule and then to another external drive for extra safety.

You can get an external harddrive casing and put your old drive in there to use as an external drive.

Opening up the computer isn't hard at all, just don't have liquids around, and don't sneeze and blow a snot rocket right onto the circuit boards!

5. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

The arguments for upgrading the internal drive are good. However, keep in mind that the uprade ritual is a bit more complicated than just sticking in a new disk. First, you need to back up whatever you want to keep, probably to an external disk; so you may want to acquire an external anyway (it will be good for backup later). Secondly, the new internal disk will be "naked"; you will need to re-install a fresh OS from scratch, and probably some applications as well. This isn't terribly hard, but keep in mind you won't have the OS running to help you do the install-- it isn't like an OS upgrade. So be sure you print out all the install procedures on paper and have them handy when you do this.

The big advantage of an external disk, of course, is that you just plug it in and it works.