Mac Hardware and Peripherals Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DavidLeigh, Aug 22, 2012.

1. DavidLeigh macrumors member

Hi,

Probably reading too much into this. Lets just take something very simple and cheap like a USB hub. If you go onto say amazon, for some hubs amazon says it's compatible with Mac OS 9.x and don't mention OS X. Others don't mention Mac OS at all. Is this something to be concerned with when buy peripherals? Bottom line: how is the compatibility of hardware with macs?

Thanks,

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For most peripherals, especially simple USB ones, there are no issues.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are three issues here:
    1. Macs have supported USB since the original iMac in 1998.
    2. Hubs--USB or otherwise--are only slightly more intelligent than wire. They do not require drivers or other software. Therefore, they cannot be incompatible with software. They just work.
    3. Devices that are explicitly compatible with MacOS 9 will work with MacOS X unless they no longer have driver support from the manufacturer [or Apple]. In this case, the obsolete device may have support from third-party [often free] software.

4. Goldey macrumors newbie

If anyone is still following this thread, I would like to bring it back a bit.....I have heard that certain touchscreen external monitors do not have Mac compatible drivers (at least the latest Mountain Lion OSX). I would like to connect a touchscreen external display to a Mac mini but am scared it will not work. I have read other forums that the display itself works, but the touchscreen functionality does not. Please offer any help if anyone can....

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

When asking for help with a peripheral, it is enormously helpful if you give the model and manufacturer. As for the monitor, have you considered treating its touchscreen facility as a trackpad?

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

1) You did not bring it back a bit, you resurrected it, its back! :D
    2) The thread was regarding simple USB devices. Of which, arguably, a touch screen monitor is not.

For such a [relatively non-ubiquitious] device you want to confirm through manufacturer information that it is explicitly supported by your OS before purchasing.

7. Goldey macrumors newbie

MisterMe, I am looking at lots of touchscreen monitor manufacturers. ELO, Samsung, LG, Mimo, HP, and some POS systems. I am trying to do all of the research on the front end. I have not purchased the device yet. As I thought I stated, I am getting a lot of "this should work" with x,y,z, operating system, not confirmed compatibility like I would like. It would be very nice to know if a certain make and model has been successful with a certain OSX version. I do not have my Mac purchased either. I am building this system from the ground up and from what I've read so far, Mountain Lion is troublesome with many touchscreens.

----------

I'm sorry if I posted on the wrong place. I have posted my specific question on this forum and another Mac one, but no responses. To me, touchscreen monitors are rather ubiqitous, but perhaps as peripherals via USB, they are not (at least relative to other simple USB devices). Yes, I am trying to gain that explicit information but I am getting unclear, non-explicit responses, and the lag in responses from manufacturers is large. Just thought someone here might have a make/model that has worked for their Mac OSX where I could duplicate something with used/refurbished or new equipment.