Mac Hardware deficiencies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ryutso, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ryutso macrumors newbie

This will probably be my first and last post on this forum, since I'm not a big mac fan, but being that this is the biggest mac-fan forum I could find on the web, I want to ask my question here:

Besides not being able to play games like a Window's box, what else can A mac not do because of the hardware?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Now that Macs have the same hardware as PCs, they can not only run Windows itself, but also Windows games.

There are NO deficiencies beyond a general lack of graphics cards for the Mac Pro and OS X. EVERY PC graphics card works in Windows in a Mac Pro.

Again, there are NO hardware "deficiencies" in Macs. Heck, we have better or more fully-featured hardware than most PCs do.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your ill-informed post is indicative of stereotypical Windows users who know nothing about Macs and make baseless assumptions. Macs can do anything Windows computers can do, since they can run Windows in addition to Mac OS X.

4. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

really , I should just reply by saying ...soup , or something , but this time I feel the need to explain .

see, I myself am not a fanboy of any company so will give you an honest answer.

A Mac is simply the only computer worth buying and I say this because you
    can run OSX , Linux , and , you guest it , Windows !....(lots of other flavours too, I know) ......can you do that on a wintel ?NO , ok so you can run Linux etc but not OSX (legally) so go figure....

Now, did someone mention food :p

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There are no limitations on a Mac due to hardware, and never were. The problems have always been software related.

There are games for Mac, the problem is that many game developers use DirectX, which only runs on Windows, when similar libraries (like OpenGL) are available and are usually cross-platform (running on Windows, OS X, and Linux). Many "mainstream" PC games are either co-developed for both platforms (Anything from Blizzard), are ported from the PC version, or use a system called Cider, to basically run the same game on the Mac. Then again, there are many games that are Mac only (or were until reciently) that are often more complex than games on the PC. Also, games like Marathon and Halo were originally going to Mac-only titles (the former was for many years before being made available for use in Windows).

The Major Software Suites exist on both systems (MS Office & Adobe Creative Suite) although each have components that only work on one platform or the other.

TEG