Mac has a mind of its own...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ang102, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ang102 macrumors newbie

PLEASE HELP... my mac is driving me crazy! It's like it has a mind of its own. For one, my Mail is extremely slow to type...it would probably take a good 2 minutes for what I just wrote to show up on my message.

Another thing, when I click once on my mouse it acts twice...which is really annoying because it opens absolutely everything that I click on. I've adjusted the mouse settings and still, no change.

Lastly, it will close boxes for no apparent reason...if I'm viewing a folder, all of a sudden the folder will minimize without me clicking on minimize...I don't know what is going on here or why it's acting up all of a sudden.

I use my Mac for work, so it's making it very difficult for me to actually get any work done!

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To be able to help you, we need some information - which Mac are you using?, which mouse are you using/attempting to use? which keyboard are you using? and which version of Mac OS X are you using?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What specific Mac model do you have, what exact Mac OS X version is on it and what applications are running?

Have you also taken a look at Activity Monitor and selected to SHOW ALL PROCESSES and sorted by CPU?

4. ang102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good question, I am obviously not very tech saavy so I hope this helps...just clicked on "About this Mac" and it says it's a 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5 (don't know if that's useful but just in case!), Mac OS X Version 10.5.8...the keyboard is the original one that came with the computer and I have a wireless Logitech mouse.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

is it an all-in-one, or a tower (PowerMac G5 or iMac G5 - if its an iMac, itll be white, and if its a PowerMac, its a silver lump on the floor). Also, did you add any software/hardware/freeware before this started, or did it just happen?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As chrismacguy already asked, what Mac is it exactly?

Btw, Activity Monitor can be found via Spotlight and it resides in Applications / Utilities. How long have you been using this Mac?

And a look at Activity Monitor (SHOW ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU) could give us the culprit of your problem.

After you have done that, click into the window where the processes are listed, use CMD+a to select all and then use CMD+C to copy that list and use CMD+V to paste the info into your next post.

iMac G5
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PowerMac G5
    [​IMG]

To find out what exact Mac you have, look under the green 3 and see what it says after model identifier.
    [​IMG]