Mac HD - External HD - Time Machine (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SuperNova4239, Aug 27, 2013.

1. SuperNova4239 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have successfully transferred 150GB's of data to an External HD in order to have more available space on the Mac HD. I also have 125GB's of Time Machine Backed Up data on this External HD. However, what confuses me is why there is also another direct copy of 125GB's of Back Ups on the Mac HD yet still. Doesn't the concept of a Back Up require another device (i.e. External HD) to duplicate & transfer the contents from the original (Mac HD)?

1. If the Macbook is already Backed Up on the External HD, why does it still contain a Back Up within itself? (Taking 125GB's of space unnecessarily)

2. How can I delete the Back Up on the Mac HD? or should I not?

Would appreciate any help.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

If you are using OS 10.7 or 10.8 Apple implemented a local time machine backup. The idea behind it was to provide a way to recover deleted files no matter where you are.

To disable local backups.

If I recall correctly, then disabling local snapshots will purge the local snapshot files as well.

Cheers

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just turn Time Machine off then back on and you should see that space go back down to zero. I would not disable local backups as it can be useful. Just ignore it as OS X manages the space and will shrink it down once the disk used space hits 80% and you need the storage.

4. SuperNova4239 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. So all the files I have ever deleted are still contained within local back up? Hence why there is 125GB's of data still available?

I see. I turned off Time Machine & restarted the computer but the space is still occupied by Backups. What is the purpose of local back ups exactly and do I need it if I am backed up externally?

5. SuperNova4239 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Did some research and ended up disabling local TM since the feature doesn't benefit me as much as potentially others. The terminal command worked flawlessly with zero KB's of local backups left. Thanks guys.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The idea is it backs up versions of your file when you are away from your TM disk. So if for example you mess up and delete an important document, you could restore it from the local backup even though you were away from home and did not have your TM disk with you. It can be valuable.