Mac HD (I'm a little bit worried)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Parrotlet, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Parrotlet macrumors member

Hi.

I've been reading this forum for a while now.

I just came back from the apple store and the 11 inch air is a marvel, currently I have a 1st gen unibody alu macbook.

However I am worried it seems like Apple will introduce the integrated ssd into other models as well. Don't get me wrong I love SSD, I have a intel ssd in my macbook to reduce noise but it is upgradable in its 2.5 inch form factor, I believe future macs will take the air approach and the user will not be able to upgrade.

BTW it took alot of will power not to buy a 11 inch air today, I am somewhat proud I could withstand its sexyness :D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The SSD in MBA is very easily upgradeable but currently it's a custom part, thus you cannot get it from anywhere. If/when Mini PCIe SSDs become more popular, it is possible that you can replace the SSD with something bigger. See this.

However, it's unlikely that MBPs will go SSD only. I can see Apple adding built-in SSD but I can't see Apple removing the hard drive, yet. Thus you could get e.g. 128GB Apple SSD + 160GB Intel SSD.