Mac HD needs to be repaired

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MedicSyn, May 27, 2010.

1. MedicSyn macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I went to Disk Utility to verify all my Disks and Drives. They are all appears to be OK (in green) except my Mac HD drive. I got message saying "Invalid Volume File Count, MAC HD needs to be repaired", so i startup the computer using a Mac OS X Install disk and opened Disk Utility and click Repair Disk. It worked and repaired so i restarted my computer again normally and went into Disk Utility and verify my Mac HD again and its say "Volume Header needs minor repair" so i reboot my computer AGAIN with the Mac OS X Install disk and trying to repair the drive again but i got a message saying "Mac HD doesn't need to repair", so i restarted my computer normally and verify my Mac HD again and of course i got the same message in RED saying Volume Header needs minor repair. What should i do to fix this? should i ignore this message? Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. MedicSyn thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure if they are related, My Finder has been acting strange lately, It crashed or freeze couples time a day. and i need to force quit it. Then one of my Seagate external drive didn't show up on both of my desktop and Disk Utility today, so i restarted computer and the screen just stayed in blue (doesn't start) unless i unplugged my ext drive, not sure why it happened, and after a couple try, my ext drive showed up again. That happen many times now. so i am wondering if that can be fixed.

Thanks

4. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

what you should do first is, back up your info.

then, try an archive/install of the OS

if that no worky to fix the structure of the filing system then get a commercial grade drive repair program like diskwarrior.

last resort, format and reinstall from scratch.